Reloading for a 6.5 Grendel

I am wondering if the price will drop back down, if they are able to keep them in stock pass 1 day... The Pawn Shop that had the CCI SRP Magnum, he mentioned he paid with hazmat 13.00 hundred, he figured two dollars a 100 would be a good price until people do not purchase them anymore, then he would probably take a loss.. I wanted to buy 1000, but figured I would go with 500 until I get all my supplies for the Grendel. The last primers I purchased from him was Federal LPM and paid 35.00 for 1000. I do see Midway has the SRP mag like I purchased for 83.00 per 1k with Hazmat of 13.00 96.00 for one brick. Hopefully I have enough primers for everything until the shelves are restocked, maybe the price will come down, but I doubt it will be much.
They will but I bet we are in the current market for 2 more years. I've accepted that I am going to either have to stop shooting or pay more. I've grudgingly elected to pay more for now and just not buy or shoot "as much".

I've only done a little bit with mine so far. TAC, XBR8208, stuff you'd shoot in a smaller case, seems like 8208 is the universal go-to for the grendel. For bullets I have some 120gr Nosler BTs, 99gr HHs, and 123 ELD-Ms. I can't remember what powder Steve told me to try with the 99s.

I've only done a little bit with mine so far. TAC, XBR8208, stuff you'd shoot in a smaller case, seems like 8208 is the universal go-to for the grendel. For bullets I have some 120gr Nosler BTs, 99gr HHs, and 123 ELD-Ms. I can't remember what powder Steve told me to try with the 99s.
RL10x and ARCOMP are giving me best results in the 100 grain class of bullets.

And at least you can find it. I can't recall the last time I found 8208XBR available.

With the 99's around 30gr xbr runs in all 3 of mine

RL10x and ARCOMP are giving me best results in the 100 grain class of bullets.

And at least you can find it. I can't recall the last time I found 8208XBR available.

Yeah, I have at least a couple of pounds of 8208, have a pound of a bunch of other stuff but I haven't seen much of any Alliant powder around here.

Last edited:
I posted this in the Reloading forum but never got a bite on it, I have a 6.5 Grendel in an AR-15 and wanted to know if anyone reloads for the Grendel? If so, what are you guys using for Powder and bullets? I do not have any dies yet, but plan to start looking at doing so in a few months. I have Hammer Hunters in 110gr and 124gr, but have no idea what is a good powder for this cartridge. Any help from those that have reloaded for this cartridge would be greatly appreciated.
I use CFE223, H335, and Varget with Hornady 123's fmj and hpbt (Wilson Combat fluted 20" with VG6 brake.

Then grab some hammer 99's and load up with that xbr. Those are the best hunting bullet I've found so far in the Grendel.
Taken a lot of game with those.
That was definitely the plan! The only problem I have with the Hammers is how much they cost, like all mono bullets, they're pricey. I do have a few hundred of the ELD-Ms so I'll make those my general-shooting/messing around bullets, load up a few hundred of those to have some fun with. That's the only problem I've noticed shooting this gun, it's just way too much fun to sit there and shoot a couple of hundred rounds out of.

Last edited:
Then grab some hammer 99's and load up with that xbr. Those are the best hunting bullet I've found so far in the Grendel.
Taken a lot of game with those.
I have a hard time (in my head) with going to such a light bullet and low BC on a normally high BC cartridge but they sure do shoot good in my rifle as do the absolute hammers but at a much higher velocity. Realistically for most of my hunting distances the lower BC won't even come into play. Just a mental block for me though.

When I ran the numbers the eld and other heavier bullets fell well below the min opening velocity so in hunting they gave no advantage and actually hindered with hoping it would open ok and more drop

That was definitely the plan! The only problem I have with the Hammers is how much they cost, like all mono bullets they're pricey. I do have a few hundred of the ELD-Ms so I'll make those my general-shooting/messing around bullets, load up a few hundred of those to have some fun with. That's the only problem I've noticed shooting this gun, it's just way too much fun to sit there and shoot a couple of hundred rounds out of.
I also use the 123 for steel and paper. But if hunting it's always a hammer or I was gonna try the 100gr eld also

Yep depends on how far I'm trying for. Out to say the 600 yards range the 100's are good. But if I ever decide to try for 1000 with the Grendel the 123 may be the only option.