Reloading for a 125 year old Winchester 1894 in 30-WCF

Winkfish

Good afternoon,
I was given this rifle and I would like to put a couple rounds through it just to say I shot it. I don't plan on hunting with it or doing any precision work. I would just like to say I fired it and keep it around and functional.

I am wondering your thoughts on potential safe loads in this rifle. I had a gunsmith go through it and ensure it was safe and that there wouldn't be any issues.

I was thinking of picking up some 115gr lead bullet, and I have enough random brass lying around that I could use. I am thinking it may be better to run this thing slow and gentle and not the current set of 30-30 production ammo this it out there?

If you have any insight as to a powder and or charge recommendation, if you could please let me know.

Thank you,

I have found that it was manufactured in the first half of 1895, a sub 20,000 serial number. The barrel is stamped 30-wcf, which lends me to believe it is 30-30.

I really don't want to get into what case it it, but look at this ammo, may ease the headache of loading a few rds for it.
Just buying bullets a pain, are you sure just what size bore it is? I went through this same thing this spring with a friends Dad's 1894 in 32-40. Shoot the softest lead bullet you can find, and HSM fits that bill.

Most of the older cartridges were designed around 40,000 Psi loads. Some were 42,000 Psi and later became 47,000 Maximum chamber pressure. I would recommend staying below 40,000 psi with any of the old rifles, I have an 1883 low wall and I load it to 38,000 PSI and it does very well and is not overworked.

Older weapons have a safety factor, But you wouldn't want to find out what it is. Do not read pressure signs on the brass because you will already be over the max pressure. find some load data that gives load pressures and load to the recommended pressure. Hodgdon is one that does this , but there is more. Don't worry about velocity, pressure is the culprit. enjoy shooting the old rifle and take care of it.

Lead bullets will probably be easier on it as long as you keep it clean and don't let it get lead fouled. lighter bullets will also be easier on it. đź‘Ť

Just My Opinion and recommendation.

J E CUSTOM

30 WCF is 30-30 Winchester. If you took the rifle to a competent gun smith and he said it was good to go I would just go get a box of factory 30-30 Win and shoot it and not fool with handloading if you just want to say you shot it.

Finding any factory ammunition around here is almost impossible and looking on line I am seeing very little, and what I have found I personally can't justify the cost to get just one box shipped. I don't mind the work and it is something I enjoy so, why not. I have all the components on hand so I don't mind a little work.

I was looking on Hodgdon's web site and I see that Varget or H4895 would work with the pressures are under 32K. I was going to give this bullet a try: 30-Cal-115RN

Does this sound like a reasonable Path?

Thank you for that, I learned something new today.

So if I take the data off the Hodgdon website for Varget and a 110gr bullet: at the starting load I get 27,200 CUP and If I use the formula 1.516xCUP - 17,902 I will get approximately 23,300 PSI and for a 130gr, one would get 27,900 PSI, all rounded values.

Based off what you mention that would be a "safe" load?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.