Reloading for 7mm and 300. wsm

matt_3479

My neighbor reloads and will reload for me. I need some new loads for my 7mm rem mag and my new 300. wsm. My 7mm is a Remington Model 700 BDL with a 24" barrel with a 1:9 1/4 twist. I is and will be mainly used for medium sized game. Its targets will be mainly Whitetail, Mule deer, sometimes caribou. I will take it black bear and moose hunting every once in a while but the main goal is Whitetail and mule. I was looking at 140 grain and 150 grain bullets. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Loads would be helpful. Shots have been from 75-over 500 yards with the average so far around 200+.

My 300. wsm is a Browning A-Bolt 23" barrel with a 1:10 twist. Its main purpose is Black bear, Moose and Caribou. Shots have been as close as 50 yards and have had chances up too 500 yards. Last year came across a black bear at 476 yards. Did not take the shot due to cubs. 2 years ago came across a couple bull moose at 506 and 511 yards. Last year came around a corner on the river and had a moose standing at 46 yards. I would around 180 grain bullet.

Can't say anything about the 300WSM, as I don't have one, but I do have a Rem 700 BDL, like yours. I use it for everything from groundhogs to WT deer. I have found excellent loads with the Hornady 100gr HP and the Sierra HP, using Rem brass, 9 1/2M primers, and IMR 4350 powder. I tried the Nosler BT 120gr bullets, and my brother shot a deer with it, but I didn't like the exit hole size. You could put your fist into its rib cage, without touching the hole. I'll say this, they were very accurate in that gun.

For the deer load, I have had really good success with the Sierra 140gr bullets, both the Game King, and the Pro-Hunter. In those, I use Federal brass, Rem 9 1/2M primer, and IMR 4350 powder.

Thank you to all that have answered so far. In case you guys were wondering i was looking i was debating mainly between the Nosler Accubonds and the Barnes TSX. I debated the Berger VLD's but i decided i wont need the extra price cause i wont be shooting 800-900 yards. I have heard the Accubonds and TSX work better at close range compared to the VLD's and still work great out to 600-700 yards.

I would like the 140-150 in the 7mm because of the smaller game being shot but also flatter trajectory. The reason im leaning over to the 150's is because of the higher BC. I was thinking 140 grain accubonds or even the Tipped TSX 150 grain. Which would you suggest? I really have heard fantastic things about both Barnes and Nosler but i hear more on accubonds then Tipped TSX. The nosler does have a higher BC, and will get faster velocity's. The shots will be on Mule and whitetail mainly and sometimes caribou. Shots from 75- over 500 yards.

A couple people have told me to shoot 200 grain accubonds but i dont think im going to go with that. I dont think there is much advantage from the 200 grain compared to the 180 grain. I think im going to stick with 180 grains. The only thing i having a serious debate over is the 180 grain accubonds, or the 180 grain Barnes. Both great bullets. This bullet will be used on moose weighing 700-1200 pounds. Bears from 150-500 pounds, and caribou. Shots from 50-over 500 yards. I really like the looks and stories of the Accubonds but someone told me to stick with the Accubonds for deer and TSX for moose? which bullet?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts