Reloading equipment question

rcharwell

I have been piecing my reloading supplies and equipment together for a while now. Read so much information that my brain can't make heads or tails of some of it. I am by no means a competitive shooter, but i have nice rifles and i want them to shoot better than my ability. What single stage press and dies should i look at purchasing. This be my last purchase to get me going. Any advice?

I have several presses that get used for different processes.
If you are just starting out, you won't go wrong with a sturdy single stage press like the RCBS RockChucker Supreme or Rebel.
Once this baseline is made, you can then get a Turret press like the RCBS or Redding.
If you really want to spurge get the 419, but really I can't justify that amount of money.
Maybe if I lived in the US where it's half the price of here.

Cheers.

CoAx press. You can do really well with Lee dies, mandrels and top brass. Or Redding or Forester if you want higher end niche dies to chase the rabbit.

I have been piecing my reloading supplies and equipment together for a while now. Read so much information that my brain can't make heads or tails of some of it. I am by no means a competitive shooter, but i have nice rifles and i want them to shoot better than my ability. What single stage press and dies should i look at purchasing. This be my last purchase to get me going. Any advice?
Start with a budget and go from there. How much are you willing to spend on the press? Dies?

In a single stage press I'd be tempted to get Coax for dies sky's the limit I often start loading a new caliber with the Lee die sets and if I feel I need better than that Foresters or Redding's but there are a lot of choices.

If I had to start over, I would get a Forster coax (settled on FA coax instead, availability), the reason I say that is you can do away with most of the other variables the coax takes care of plus quick change out/die setup. Turrets are good. Lyman All American is really beefy and is modestly priced. Dies? Redding. I just got a new set off ebay 20 bucks cheaper than new, but even new are only 70 bucks for standard dies and got better results than my BR Foster chamber seaters ! but larger cals IDK about.

The Lyman universal trimmer can be bought used cheap and the pilots too. Habor freight tumbler or even make one from a plastic buck.... tons of ideas to cheapen the venture.

Last edited:
Lee stuff is generally cheep in price and not as polished but will load as accurate ammo as any of the other $$$$$ stuff. I have some very expensive dies a co-ax press and T7 . I do like micrometer seater dies for calibers I load a lot of I think I have nine 223 Rem rifles.

RCBS Rockchucker is a good starter, and will last a life time. I have an RCBS TC 4. It does the job. IMHO the Forester CoAx is supreme for single stage, but harder to find and cost a bit more.
Basically all the dies have the same threads, I (like most) have a mixture of die brands. I like RCBS, Redding, Forester Ultra micrometer seater and a LEE decapper. The precision seater is a must.. several folks make them. I have Forester and Redding.. both work.
If you want to step up on the dies, Whidden stuff is extreme precision.
Good luck, have fun. Don't fall into the rabbit hole too deeply.