• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Reloading dies

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
OK, I am hoping that there is a member here the makes, or knows of someone who does, custom reloading dies. Am looking for .338 Lap Imp and 6.5x47 Lap Imp. So far what I have found is about 6 months out. I have found a couple sources that are 3-4 months, but are $500 plus. I guess like much of the custom gun stuff, it seems outrageous. CH dies is the most reasonable price, but 6 months. Redding is 16 weeks.

Hoping one of you know something that I can't find.

Frustrated,

Steve

Have you checked with Forster? They may need the chamber reamer to build a custom set of dies though.

Yes, I own and use some Forster dies. They're considered to be a pretty high quality die (tolerance wise) at a moderate price range. A working man's Redding Die. They may not be finished quite as nicely on the exterior as the Redding dies, but their tolerances are equally good to go IMO.

If you've got the reamers I think you're in business. Give'm a call tomorrow when they open and see what they can do for you. I'm pretty certain I read in their literature that they will manufacture a custom die if provided with a chamber reamer. The time frame wasn't too outrageous, and their cost for custom dies was also quite reasonable.

I've attended a couple of SHOT SHOWs and Forster always has a display booth. I've picked up their literature and that's where I read about their custom die service. I'm pretty sure I'm providing good intel, but please correct me if you find out my infornation is bogus. I'd like to know.

why not buy a blank and have your gunsmith who did your chamber do your custom die? just a thought.
Dano

Spoke with Forster yesterday. They are $25 +thecost of the die and 3week turnaround. You provide the reamer. I have a few Forster dies and they are very nice.

Spoke with Forster yesterday. They are $25 +thecost of the die and 3week turnaround. You provide the reamer. I have a few Forster dies and they are very nice.

Thanks for posting this information. That's a bargain. Now we'd need to confirm that the reamer they require is the chamber reamer, rather than a resizing reamer which would be different reamer manufactured a few thousanths smaller in diameter. I'd be using Forster's service if the chamber reamer is sufficient and I owned or had access to the chamber reamer.

All of my dies are made by my smith who makes them at the same time he chambers. Then the 12L14 goes to be carborized then back to be polished and blued. Not cheap but they are perfect. The seating die is a Wilson that can be reamed to finish dimension and it is done. Be careful with the 338 Imp---not every version is the same. I have several rifles in 338 Slowpoke which is a improved version and my reamer may not be the same as yours --- a small difference ruin case life, accuracy etc.

All of my dies are made by my smith who makes them at the same time he chambers. Then the 12L14 goes to be carborized then back to be polished and blued. Not cheap but they are perfect. The seating die is a Wilson that can be reamed to finish dimension and it is done. Be careful with the 338 Imp---not every version is the same. I have several rifles in 338 Slowpoke which is a improved version and my reamer may not be the same as yours --- a small difference ruin case life, accuracy etc.

Your smith has a 2nd reamer manufactured slightly undersized compared to the reamer used to cut the barrel chamber? For purposes of making the dies?

Your smith has a 2nd reamer manufactured slightly undersized compared to the reamer used to cut the barrel chamber? For purposes of making the dies?

Yes I do it is easy--- Kiff knows my rifles are built by Speedy (except the wood ones) and knows the drill when I order reamers to Speedy's specs. All of mine are sitting in a box so when I need a new tube or die I will have them if needed. One thing Speedy taught me ALWAYS keep your reamers and do not let anyone borrow then.

Last edited:
X2 on the Newlon route, They are a little pricey but they are the best! And Boss, can I borrow one of your reamers??? lol, jk

X2 on the Newlon route, They are a little pricey but they are the best! And Boss, can I borrow one of your reamers??? lol, jk

No problem-------

As Long As Speedy Uses Them!!

Am serious as a heart attack about that!!

You dont need the under sized reamer if you build a bushing die and a body die. Newlon dies work great for this.