Reloading Dies - Which ones?

statjunk

Hello,

With the help of Tackdriver10 I've determined that my Lee dies are not sizing my brass correctly which is why I can't bump my shoulder back with the FL sizer.

I'd like to invest in a set of quality .30-06 dies. I'd like a FL sizer, Neck sizer, seater and possibly a body die. Does such a set exist?

What brand of dies are the best for the money? On a budget.

Thanks

Tom

Forster or Hornady for the more budget minded. You might need to go to Redding for their body die, but the body dies aren't too expensive.

For a hunting rifle there's nothing wrong with the RCBS two die set that consists of a FL sizer and a seating die - that's what I use for my .30-06's. Usually around 30 bux. Add a Redding body die if you feel the need for it. I think for a factory chambered rifle, this is the best option.

If you want to go deluxe, the Redding Type S bushing neck die, seater, plus body die is probably the first step up from the RCBS. The bushing neck die being the feature in that package, but it's more money, of more use with a tight necked custom chamber, and requires also purchasing a bushing or two.

Fitch

Take a hard look at the RCBS X Die. This die should due what you want and give you far better case life.

Could use a little more help here. I've settled on Redding dies.

Is there anything that a body die can do that a FL sizing die can't?

If it were up to you would you buy the

1) Redding 3 die set for $62:

Redding 3-Die Set 30-06 Springfield - MidwayUSA

or

2) Redding 2 die set for $36:

Redding 2-Die Set 30-06 Springfield - MidwayUSA

with a Type S bushing Neck die for $50

Redding Type S Bushing Neck Sizer Die 30-06 Springfield - MidwayUSA

So would it be better to spend the extra $25 and get the bushing neck sizer or save the money and get the neck sizer that comes in the three pack?

Well there is one more

3) Another 3 pack with a Bushing neck die, body die and seater for $91

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=188261

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks

Tom

A body die + a neck sizer = an FL die.

"my Lee dies are not sizing my brass correctly which is why I can't bump my shoulder back with the FL sizer."

If you just want to try another die set it really won't much matter, there's no magic in any brand of dies. They are all made to SAMMI tolerances and that's a range, not a specific point. I've measured a lot of dies and find there's as much variation, on average, between dies of the same maker as there is between makers. We may see wording by different die makers that tout their "precision" but you won't see them actually say they have "tighter tolerances" in their dies than others; that would be false!

If you only want to set the shoulders back enough there's a 99% probability you don't have your Lee FL down quite far enough. Do what you usually do but turn the FL down another 1/8th turn first. Bet that fixes things.

What I noticed the biggest difference between the Lee and other dies is that you have to cam over the press to resize. There is a sleeve that pushes up into the die body to do the resizing. In addition there is no locking slug screw and the rubber o-ring makes it very difficult to do precise movements.

I've ruined several peices of brass now moving the die back and forth and getting really odd readings from the RCBS precision mic. Not sure what is going on there but I'm going to go another direction. I only wish I had a set of another brand of dies to do some testing with before I committed.

Ok so now I see why #2 on my list was not a good idea.

So should I get the Bushing neck dies? Are they over kill?

Tom

$36.00 Redding 2 die set (FL sizing die and a seater die). Stop there. You can do all you need to do with those dies.

Fitch

"There is a sleeve that pushes up into the die body to do the resizing. "

AH! We've found the problem!

The only Lee size die that has a sleeve is their neck die, it WON'T change the shoulders, not supposed to. You need a real FL die for that. Anybody's.

The standard Redding seat die is not a sliding sleeve design like the Forster. You have a few avenues of pursuit when sizing the brass, conventional FL sizer (all are about the same), neck sizer (Lee Collet neck sizing is hard to beat), and bushing dies. The bushing dies are more precise but a lot more expensive.

Seating is a different story. The precision sliding sleeve design by Forster is at the top of the heap and seating with this kind of die pays the biggest dividends for keeping runout under control.

My advice is go with Forster.

I'm not knocking any die manufacturers dies. But, over the years, I've never had a problem with Redding dies. If I were to buy another set right now, Redding would be my choice. But to each his own..

The competition set is the best choice in my opinion. That is if you have the funds of course, because they can get expensive...

Redding (Competition) and Forster (all) seating dies are equivalent on the inside. Forster gives you the choice of whether or not you want micrometer adjustment to go with it. It's the sleeve on the inside that makes them seat straight. The micrometer adjustment is for convenience. Both are great dies.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.