Reloading Dies Question

The Redding FL S die can be used as a body die when the decap rod & bushing are removed. The neck can then be sized with the Lee Collet Neck Die.

The collet is said to produce less run out? Needs testing.

The bushing should not size fired brass necks down more then .008" in 1 step (Redding info)

I just bought the Lee 243 Win. collet die. No tool to check runout.
What I don't like is having to apply over 28 pounds on my Rock Chucker 2 press lever. Lee said this puts about 600 pound pressure on the ram. This will wear out any press, sooner then later. IMO.

My 243 collet mandrel measures .240" in diameter. Neck tension is .0015" after sizing. At age 76, this is just to much effort needed to neck size. Plus its an extra step.

To get the same neck tension every time with the Lee collet, some device is needed to measure pressure applied to the lever, when sizing.

A quick test, bushing VS collet, has the bushing producing better groups on target. More testing is needed.

The Redding FL S die can be used as a body die when the decap rod & bushing are removed. The neck can then be sized with the Lee Collet Neck Die.

The collet is said to produce less run out? Needs testing.

The bushing should not size fired brass necks down more then .008" in 1 step (Redding info)

I just bought the Lee 243 Win. collet die. No tool to check runout.
What I don't like is having to apply over 28 pounds on my Rock Chucker 2 press lever. Lee said this puts about 600 pound pressure on the ram. This will wear out any press, sooner then later. IMO.

My 243 collet mandrel measures .240" in diameter. Neck tension is .0015" after sizing. At age 76, this is just to much effort needed to neck size. Plus its an extra step.

To get the same neck tension every time with the Lee collet, some device is needed to measure pressure applied to the lever, when sizing.

A quick test, bushing VS collet, has the bushing producing better groups on target. More testing is needed.
Thanks for your reply.

I've found that the Redding Type S FL dies can produce very consistent reloads and avoids all the problems that pulling a neck expander ball through the necks can cause. Selecting the correct bushing "may" be a bit trickier than it seems and it is helpful to have a few bushings available to get the neck tension right where you want it. Using brass from different sources could necessitate a slightly tighter or looser bushing.

FWIW - I use Type S FL bushing dies for all of my bottleneck cases.

Are use Reading bushing guys know expander button in my final step in my process is an expanding mandrel so I have a more consistent neck diameter with any type of brass weather the necks are turned or not

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.