Reloading dies for Schmidt-Rubin

bjdiaz3190

I have a beautiful K11 Schmidt-Rubin rifle that shoots like a charm. I've taken it to 600 yards consistently using PPU ammo which I haven't been able to do so with any of my other vintage rifles (Enfield, Mosin Nagant, SKS, Mauser, Arisaka, Carcano...). I want to reload for it since it's hard to find ammo these days and I already reload for my long-range rifles (Bergara 6.5CM & Tikka 7RM). I bought Redding dies and then I was told by a friend that the Redding dies are actually made specifically for the K31 chambers and NOT for the K11. I am getting ready to return the Redding dies and buy another brand which I've been told are designed for the K11. Hornady even makes separate ones for each. I'd love to hear comments and confirmation of this information. The odd thing is that the GP11 ammo shoot in both rifles and with the PPU 7.5x55mm ammo I was getting very good results. I have all the PPU brass I shot and plan to use H4350 powder. I only need light loads for target shooting up to 600 yards and maybe 1000 later on. Hodgdon lists H4350 starting loads for only 4 bullets and I was leaning towards the 175gr HPBT Sierra Matchking, so 44gr seems to be the starting load up to a Max of 48 gr. I'm working out recipes and procedures to figure out optimum component combinations of bullet, power load, primer, and seating depth. Should be fun. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

I have shot a LOT of 7.5x55 out of my K-31. I don't know about the different dies, so I can't comment on that, I use Lee dies, 45gr imr4064 and 168smk . 1moa or less all day long, well it used to be less, my eyesight makes shooting with iron sights difficult at best now.

As a side note, I bought mine for $100. I wish I would have bought 10 of them!

I have shot a LOT of 7.5x55 out of my K-31. I don't know about the different dies, so I can't comment on that, I use Lee dies, 45gr imr4064 and 168smk . 1moa or less all day long, well it used to be less, my eyesight makes shooting with iron sights difficult at best now.

As a side note, I bought mine for $100. I wish I would have bought 10 of them!
I agree about eyesight shortcomings. I just turned 70 and iron sights are a struggle. Most of my dies are Lee and those are for K11 chambers that are narrower than the K31, so they would work on both. I just ordered Hornedy's dies for the K11chambers (Ref. #546360) because I couldn't find Lee dies.

I want to share this response from Mike Speary of Redding with everyone to my question on Jan 17, 2021...
Please confirm if the Redding 7.5x55mm Swiss #80235, Series C dies are ONLY good for K31 chambers and NOT for K11. My rifle is a Schmidt-Rubin 1911
Yes, the die set 80235 is specific to the K31. The 1911 requires dies that are specified for the old style 7.5x55. If you are interested in these, let me know which ones you require. These are considered a Custom die and I do have a good assortment on the shelf. Our price for the two die set for the K11 is $215.25, which includes shipping. Thank you for your interest in our products! Please fee free to contact me with any additional questions.
So, the message is... Redding is able to provide custom reloading dies for the 7.5x55mm Swiss ammo that fits the K11 Schmidt-Rubin rifles., but you have to order them from Redding directly.
Hope this helps other K11 reloaders.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.