Reloading dies for same cartridge, multiple rifles

woodcr24

All,
I'm getting into reloading for various 6.5x55 and probably .260 Remington (since there is practically no factory ammo to be had anywhere, and what does exist is extremely pricey). Multiple rifles. The question that would like to pose is if someone can comment on which of the following might be the best approach:

Redding's Deluxe 3-die set
Forster's Ultra Micrometer Seater Die and their Bench Rest Full-length Sizer Die.
Redding's Premium Series Deluxe 3-die set

Are there any real differences in approach using one vs the others?

Will be using a Lee factory crimp die, also. T-7 press.

Out of your choices I'll pick Forster.

I do NOT care for Redding full length size dies.

I'd highly recommended Redding Body Dies in conjunction with Lee collet neck size dies. Makes as close to perfectly concentric ammo as I am able to produce.

Out of your choices I'll pick Forster.

I do NOT care for Redding full length size dies.

I'd highly recommended Redding Body Dies in conjunction with Lee collet neck size dies. Makes as close to perfectly concentric ammo as I am able to produce.

Like he said, along with the factory crimp die is nice to have, I have 1 but I don't use it. It is not needed with a bolt action

I have the 3 die sets in Redding also the Bushing Dies. I have never had any problems with them. I've never had the Forster but have had heard good things about them. Notice you didn't say anything about the bushing dies. You should look at those also. Good Luck and enjoy reloading.

Based on the title. "reloading dies for same cartridge, multiple rifles" you have a choice of dies but the die does not solve your problem.

The problem is varied headspace with multiple rifles.

Two ways to solve that issue.

1. Skip Otto die shims ($13) from sinclair international. You simply set the dies for the shortest headspace and then use die shims underneath the die for the other rifles to get the proper headspace.

2. PMA micro die adjuster. Allows adjustable headspace with micro adjustments on die for multiple rifles.

Redding, Whidden and Forester are my top three off the shelf dies. I often use a Redding body die sent to Jim Carstenson to have him convert it to a custom honed to fit the chamber, FL bushing die. Cost is $80 and two week turnaround.

Another option is a set of dies for each gun. What I did for my STWs I tried one set and was left with 20 rounds in a gun that wouldn't chamber.
Easier to mark them and just stick with it

I agree, the head spacing difference would be a pain to reset up for each time unless you didn't shoot them very often. I'd get two sets if you wanted to afford it.

I use Redding competition bushing dies for several same caliber rifles, but that is not the best way to go. If your rifles are used just for hunting, any of those you suggest are OK. If you want best accuracy, order dies that are custom fit to each chamber. Whidden and Carstenden are good. Another option is the Harrells f/L bushing die. Send them 2 fired cases and $75; in about two weeks you will have a die that matches your chamber dimension.

Many thanks for the continued suggestions. The rifles are used for a combination of hunting and informal target shooting. Like anyone, I'm looking to load for the best overall accuracy with projectiles that will quickly and ethically take down game, regardless of which rifle I'm using at the time. Getting a set of dies made for each rifle is definitely out of my means. What I will likely do is go with the Redding dies and just work up different loads for each individual rifle in sequence. I have a LOT of brass, so it's not going to be an issue to work up a load and then produce enough of them to last me a couple of years.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.