Reloading die

hammer111

He's another question I have. In my 7mm08 reloading kit there is a crimping die. Does anyone use this die . The bullet seems pretty well seated. I'd imagine if you don't need to crimp , that velocities would be higher.

Yes, people use the crimping die at times. If you have a bullet with a cannelure, sometimes crimping it can improve ES & standard deviation (SD). Some find a particular load shoots more accurately with a crimp vs without. It's a nice option to have, but in a bolt action of a moderately recoiling cartridge, neck tension alone is usually sufficient & often times preferred (especially with non-cannelure projectiles).

How did this turn into me loading pointed bullets into a tubular magazine.

"In my 7mm08 reloading kit there is a crimping die. Does anyone use this die ." I'd like to suggest that the respondent replied back about using the crimp die when reloading pointed bullets in a tubular magazine. I totally disagree with loading pointed bullets in a tubular magazine because the results would/could be catastrophic, unless the bullets were polymer tipped and designed to be used in a tubular magazine like the LeverRevolution ammunition. I am not a fan of crimping bullets unless they are going to be used in a tubular magazine to prevent bullets from seating deeper, or pistol bullets to prevent them from backing out due to recoil. I have read other replies on the forum where some subscribe to using seating dies to help eliminate deviation in loads, that I have not tried as of yet. I do like the professional crimping die that Lee makes, bought one a few months ago and would never use a taper crimp die again.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.