Reloading die

hammer111

He's another question I have. In my 7mm08 reloading kit there is a crimping die. Does anyone use this die . The bullet seems pretty well seated. I'd imagine if you don't need to crimp , that velocities would be higher.

Frog4aday

Yes, people use the crimping die at times. If you have a bullet with a cannelure, sometimes crimping it can improve ES & standard deviation (SD). Some find a particular load shoots more accurately with a crimp vs without. It's a nice option to have, but in a bolt action of a moderately recoiling cartridge, neck tension alone is usually sufficient & often times preferred (especially with non-cannelure projectiles).

hammer111

Ok great thanks for confirming that. I'm using a bolt action rifle.

Alibiiv

LRH Team Member
He's another question I have. In my 7mm08 reloading kit there is a crimping die. Does anyone use this die . The bullet seems pretty well seated. I'd imagine if you don't need to crimp , that velocities would be higher.
What make die set??

Alibiiv

LRH Team Member
How did this turn into me loading pointed bullets into a tubular magazine.
"In my 7mm08 reloading kit there is a crimping die. Does anyone use this die ." I'd like to suggest that the respondent replied back about using the crimp die when reloading pointed bullets in a tubular magazine. I totally disagree with loading pointed bullets in a tubular magazine because the results would/could be catastrophic, unless the bullets were polymer tipped and designed to be used in a tubular magazine like the LeverRevolution ammunition. I am not a fan of crimping bullets unless they are going to be used in a tubular magazine to prevent bullets from seating deeper, or pistol bullets to prevent them from backing out due to recoil. I have read other replies on the forum where some subscribe to using seating dies to help eliminate deviation in loads, that I have not tried as of yet. I do like the professional crimping die that Lee makes, bought one a few months ago and would never use a taper crimp die again.

Frank Kalisz

I have a couple accurate loads for my 308 where I don’t have a lot of seating distance in the neck. I use my lee crimp die for those.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce