Votes: 396 19.3%
  • Lee

Votes: 477 23.3%
  • RCBS

Votes: 1,107 54.0%
  • Redding

Votes: 872 42.5%

• Total voters
Like most handloaders, I've tried them all, and still have many brands: RCBS, Redding, Dillion, Lee, Forster...

I'm kinda settled on Redding for rifle(the comp. seating die is the sh!t) and Dillion for handgun.

I'm making the switch to custom dies and no turn necks based off my chambers/reamers & reloading following the principals of bench rest shooting with about .001 more than BR. Closer than SAAMI/hunting but a little less than BR tight chamber, I don't want any pulls and powder mess nor tight bolts or no closures. Long range bug hole's is my goal.

Presently working up 7 Dakota loads with a .311 no turn neck, smithed and blueprinted Mod.70 SS action by Freudenberg, Lilja HV SS 1:9 27". Newlon precision dies, heat treated and nitride plated, reamers by JGS.

Previously using Competition Redding, RCBS and Benchrest Forster's, they will be going up for sale as the customs replace them.

RCBS Competition ! The seater die features a micrometer adjustmentand . This will be my first try with one like this . Hope it works

RCBS Competition ! The seater die features a micrometer adjustmentand . This will be my first try with one like this . Hope it works
Well, that costly die set in a pretty wood box will certainly assemble useable ammo and you can be sure the micrometer head will change seating depth as it should; RCBS would never have been able to sell the second production run if not. But, if those dies will actually load ammuniton any more 'accurately' than a conventional die set is the real question. On average, that seems to be a toss up. Good luck!

Well, that costly die set in a pretty wood box will certainly assemble useable ammo and you can be sure the micrometer head will change seating depth as it should; RCBS would never have been able to sell the second production run if not. But, if those dies will actually load ammuniton any more 'accurately' than a conventional die set is the real question. On average, that seems to be a toss up. Good luck!
well loaded 40 round's sat. and wow so nice did a ladder load from 3.240 to 3.330 . 3 round's each size and zeroed the mic. at 3.240 and then just put it +.010 and it worked perfectly no variation in length at all . very happy with the RCBS Competition set . But I did not get a wood box .

from personal expericne which is something i dont have a lot of but me and my uncle reload our bullets and we recently tried hornandy and we have noticed a diffrence not huge but a small diffrence . also i currently hunt with a 7mm-08 im 14 years old my dad wants to buy me a .270 which is basically the same thing. does anyone have any recommendasions?

from personal expericne which is something i dont have a lot of but me and my uncle reload our bullets and we recently tried hornandy and we have noticed a diffrence not huge but a small diffrence . also i currently hunt with a 7mm-08 im 14 years old my dad wants to buy me a .270 which is basically the same thing. does anyone have any recommendasions?

A .270 Winchester and a 7-08 are completely different animals! One case is a half inch longer than the other! Other than that I like the .270, and shot one for many years. But I think a .280 Remington is a better round due to bullet selection alone. Yet I would not trade either one for a good 30-06. Face it a 30-06 will kill just about anything south of the Canadian border with a properly placed shot.
gary

I'll be the very first person to tell you all that a standard Forster seater will load bullets just as strait as their micrometer die seven days a week and twice on Sunday! I also suspect the the Redding seater is in the same boat.
gary

Where is Wilson on this list?

Redding Forester and Lee are all good but Wilson is better, particularly when the seater is reamed with your chamber reamer. Almost necessary with Wildcats. 65WSM

Currently using Lee dies for most pistol and RCBS for most rifle. I have a few RCBS pistol die sets and a Forster rifle die set. Not opposed to trying Redding or Hornady. I'd say I'll definitely try Redding at some point, probably Hornady too. I love Hornady Bullets.