Votes: 396 19.3%
  • Lee

Votes: 477 23.3%
  • RCBS

Votes: 1,107 54.0%
  • Redding

Votes: 872 42.5%

• Total voters
I (Speedy) use Newlon blanks and Modify existing Wilson seating dies for my stuff.

For the factory wood sporters like 7x57 or 300 H&H for example that are built by Chuck Grace I use the Redding Product.

Last edited:
For those who buy dies off the shelf, Hornady is hard to beat. They're not really expensive, they're well made and thought out, and they're easy to get upgrades for (such as micrometer bullet seater and match bullet seater insert).

Most of my resizing is done with Forster FL competition dies (all custom honed). For bullet seating, I like the Redding Competition micrometer type seaters, also have this same setup in a Forster and it's just as nice. Recently picked up a Redding Type S bushing FL sizer for my Ultra and looking forward to giving that a try.

When I first started handloading I used all RCBS, but for my recent rifles have switched to Hornady because I like the fact that I can easily adjust the bullet seating depth on the seater die with a twist of the finger without getting out tools to make that adjustment. I've tried redding, but I had bad luck with a specific die so gave up on them and stuck with Hornady, but love the rest of redding's products such as their presses.

IMO best value and accuracy for the money is following:

1. Forester Bonanza BR dies with micro seater

2. Above converted to bushings by Jim Carstenson and custom honed for perfect chamber fit. Cost is $80 (still under cost of the Redding and custom fit to the chamber)

3. Redding FL bushing dies.

4. Neil Jones custom dies. The rolls royce of perfect dies!! FL sizing with shoulder bump bushings perfectly fitted to your chamber. Not cheap, but the best.

BH

BH, perfectly fitted to your chamber...how do they do that? I'm assuming somehow they go in and measure your chamber or something like that.

You send Jim 10 pieces of brass fired 3x and he hones the die to fit the perfect sizing.

Neil Jones basically same thing. He builds a NS die off your reamer print, you fire the brass 3x, return the NS die to him with the brass and he puts a perfect fitted body insert into the die to become a FL shoulder bushing die.

BH

BH, thanks for responding, sounds simple enough...well atleast what ya need to get together to send him.

Last edited:
Have always used Gold Medal dies in 308/3006 and now 223 just love the Micrometer on the seating die makes seating of different match bullets easy and true, just write it down in your load book.