Reloading D.A.Q (Dumb *** Question)

tallpaul

Someone I know primed 50 rounds of their prepped small rifle brass with small pistol primers and caught the mistake before going any further. Hence the daq can the 223 shells be loaded with said primers and 23.7 gr Varget /w 53 gr Hornady bullets or should "they" scrap that idea and cut their loss on the primers. Asking for a friend. Lol

Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned about lack of ignition. This is definitely hearsay on my part since I didn't gather the info myself, but it's often said that pistol primers cups are thinner (meaning not rated for rifle pressure). So I'd be worried about pierced/ruptured primers and the resulting gas damage to bolt face and potentially your face.

Thank you. I did not know it was possible
yes , I've done it often . yesterday , I pushed out 28 large rifle mag primers . just use slow steady pressure and they will come out . I put them in a pack with "used " wrote on it . I've never had a problem reusing primers . I wouldn't use them for hunting , or a competition , but for general plinking they work fine .

As mentioned, the only real difference is in cup thickness. My only concern would be, if they're going to be shot in an AR. Then I'd be concerned with the possibility of slam fires, since the firing pin floats. I've watched the video where the guy loads SPP, SPM, and SRP in 40 cal with basically no difference in velocity or pressure.