Reloading calipers?

If you look on Mitutoyo's website, they clearly spell out that the calipers are advertised as accurate to .001 but the display resolution is to .0005. The former number is more important than the latter.
Yep, Starrett is the same way (.001 accuracy and .0005 resolution) as with many, if not all, calipers.

Last edited:
A caution - a while back on a similar thread, there were numerous reports about counterfeit Mitutoyo calipers being sold at authentic through Amazon and other sources. I don't know if anything's been done about this but given the cost, it's worth making sure we are actually getting a genuine Mitutoyo.
So now there is fakes on Amazon too? I knew about the fakes on eBay. I thought Amazon actually had the real ones.

So now there is fakes on Amazon too? I knew about the fakes on eBay. I thought Amazon actually had the real ones.
Amazon is a marketplace. So ye hey stock some high volume items but are oftentimes a distributor for many small businesses. Most of the time, Amazon itself is pretty safe.

Ok what's everybody use for a caliper for reloading? I had a cheap one from Menards and it stopped measuring right. Basically the measurements are in half almost from what they should be. Should I just buy another cheap one or get a Mitutoyo?
I bought a Pittsburgh dial caliper from Harbor Freight a decade ago. It was around $15 then now they are $20 and it works quite well. very accurate. repeatable

I bought a Pittsburgh dial caliper from Harbor Freight a decade ago. It was around $15 then now they are $20 and it works quite well. very accurate. repeatable

I've got 2 Harbor Freight digital ones. The metal ones can be had for $9.99 when on sale.

One of mine works great, and the other randomly offsets by 0.200" after every 3-4 measurements.

Basically they are the same as the $30 Hornady model.

You can still get it for $15.

Harbor Freight 25% off coupon.JPG

My first set of dial calipers were purchased in the mid 70's when I first started working in a machine shop. Brown & Sharp. They have been through everything. Still using them today. I also have B&S digitals, original bulky style and the newer (10-12 year old) slim version.
Probably have a half dozen other calipers, different brands, including Mitutoya, none are as repeatable or smooth as B&S.

I've been using precision calipers since 1984 or so. IMHO this is a place where you should spend a bit more. I agree with Mr. Holifield, but would add Brown & Sharp in 3rd place and all others as not worth the time or money. I use Mitutoyo's at home.

One caveat though, the Mitutoyo "MyCal" line of calipers are NOT the same as their std products and are barely above the consideration line. If you're wanting something better than what the reload tool mfg's offer, but can't quite swing one of the top 3's regular product then these *might* be worth considering.

Just because the digital's display .0001" does not mean that calipers can actually measure that precise. Consider that 4th digit to only indicate which direction to round off to .001" and nothing more. By using poor technique I can vary the numbers on the display of any of my digital calipers by .005" so how could I possibly think that they're accurate to .0001"?
I believe I saw where you are a machinist or did machinist work. Your knowledge far exceeds mine & most others. Thanks for adding Brown & Sharp.
I was looking at some gunsmithing lathes while shopping for tools & believe I left drool on it!

I have a Hornady digital caliper and an Igaging. They both work, but the Hornady will sometimes forget the zero. And I have to re-zero it with the comparator body or anvil. Sometimes I don't immediately notice it's done this.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.