Reloading calipers?

zr600

Ok what's everybody use for a caliper for reloading? I had a cheap one from Menards and it stopped measuring right. Basically the measurements are in half almost from what they should be. Should I just buy another cheap one or get a Mitutoyo?

Ok what's everybody use for a caliper for reloading? I had a cheap one from Menards and it stopped measuring right. Basically the measurements are in half almost from what they should be. Should I just buy another cheap one or get a Mitutoyo?
I am not sure what you are considering cheap ones (Frankford Arsenal, Hornady, RCBS, ~$25-30 for the digital, etc.), but if you can afford the Mitutoyo go for it.

Last edited:
I just got the i-gaging absolute origin ($42) calipers for a second set to go with my 20 yr old Dillon dial calipers. So far they feel sturdy. This may seem small, but one item I like is the battery (cr2032) is the same as multiple other items in my shop. Not the tiny battery in other digitals.

I use the Hornady digital...they are easy to read and consistent. They always read right on my 1" gage block.

I-GAUGING ABSOLUTE ORIGIN! I wasnt a fan of digital until I got these calipers. Very accurate, repeatable, and has cut down on the stupid math errors that I sometimes introduce into the equation. Highly recommend these

You want the best, go for a Brown & Sharpe. I was a machinist for a few years, and my calipers, mics, and dial indicators were all Brown & Sharpe, and pretty much that was the standard for everybody. There were some Mitutoyo's as well, and they were fine as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.