Reloading brass

Cruizin

So with these big cartridges like the 338 edge how long does your brass last?

Also do you see a difference in velocity with a fire formed 338 edge verses a resized 338 edge cartridge? If so do any of you have any solutions to this? With all the range work involved with long range shooting it would be nice to eliminate some of it.

Thanks

I'm thinking it would be best to full length resize your brass every time. Wouldn't this produce consistent velocities compared to neck sizing?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking it would be best to full length resize your brass every time. Wouldn't this produce consistent velocities compared to neck sizing?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... in fact, just the opposite. Neck sizing will provide the best uniformity, and longest case life in a field/hunting chamber.

BR chambers do not apply.

Thanks Catshooter,

I have learned a lot over the years from reading your posts. On this site and others so thank you...

With these larger cartridges can you get 6-8 reloadings from your brass? It seems like I read some where that you can't reload the larger magnum cartridges as much. Is this true?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Catshooter,

I have learned a lot over the years from reading your posts. On this site and others so thank you...

With these larger cartridges can you get 6-8 reloadings from your brass? It seems like I read some where that you can't reload the larger magnum cartridges as much. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true.

The life of a case is dependent on the fit to the chamber. Each time a case is fired, it expands like a balloon to fill the chamber.
If you leave it "expanded", later shooting does not "work" the brass much, and it can last a loooong time.

Where it is constantly worked, as in the neck, the brass will harden, and eventually split. How soon (or whether) this happens, is dependant on how hard the brass is to start with, how MUCH the brass is sized, and how often.

If you only neck size the brass, and anneal it from time to time, it can last forever (almost).

I have 300WM cases that have been loaded so many times that I have lost count... and they are still fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.