Reloading Benches

HeskethPritchard

Following on from encoreguy's thread (I didn't want to hijack it) does anyone know where I can get the plans to make a reloading bench? They don't sell them here and if I ordered one it would take ages and cost a fortune to ship?

Any help would be appreciated.

HP

here ya go.... it sure works well... I just need to organize a little more :)

516240-big.JPG

I JUST finished building one myself. I started a similar thread a while back for the same info. I looked at LOTS of plans for purchase (too complicated) and other people's ideas and finally decided to take what I liked from all of them and plan it myself. A few of the things I looked at were:

Most benches are made for using a stool but my back won't handle that at all.
I had a fairly large area to use and didn't want to be reduced to someone elses size.
I wanted to "mount" numerous presses etc. but also wanted a large clear area for home smithing (read messing up a gun).

My final build comprised of three 3/4" sheets of plywood, 2 4x4's, lots of wood screws, and a bottle of glue.

I cut the three sheets of plywood to 30" X 72". I had just over 6' between a pegboard and an open door, and I wanted about 22" of working depth plus room to put a 8" shelf unit at the back of the bench. Then I decided how high I wanted the TOP of the bench and subtracted 2 1/4" (the thickness of 3 pieces of plywood) mine was about 27". Then I cut one of the 4x4's to just under 6' and lag bolted it to the wall at 27" and cut 2 27" legs out of the other one. On top of this I mounted the first piece of plywood. Out of the next 2 pieces I made 3 dove tail openings where I wanted to mount components, one near each corner and a third close enough to one of the others to use as a gun cleaning rack. The dove-tail was a larger opening in the middle sheet (about 14x12) with a smaller opening in the top sheet (about 8x10). I mounted the top two sheets of plywood together with LOTS of wood glue and LOTS af screws (enough glue to squeeze out all over and a screw every 6-8"). I then made 9 dove tail inserts, 3 blanks to create a flat countertop surface, 2 as a gun cleaning rack, one for a Rockchucker press, 2 for shotshell presses, 1 for a powder thrower. Then I made a 36"H X 72"W shelf unit for the back of the bench with a pegboard backing for all(some) of my STUFF. Any of this can be adapted to fit your area, needs, size, etc.

Since the dove tail inserts were made of the same wood as the bench I took a router and removed about 1/64" of wood from the bottom of the dove tail area so the insert could slide in and out. I could have used sandpaper or sanded the insert instead but I like power tools OH-OH-OH.

Since my woodworking skills are less than great the dovetail inserts don't fit TIGHT. I haven't resized large cases yet to see how it works but if it is too loose I will figure some way to tighten it up if needed.

I hope that this is at least as clear as mud. If anyone has questions please ask, or if ANYONE would like pics e-mailed I would be glad to take some and send them, just let me know your address. Life is too crazy right now for me to try to figure out how to post pics here, sorry.

Good luck with your project.

I thought this one up in my head one night when I couldn't sleep…. Got up in the morning and went from there. No plans at all, just knew what I wanted.

0000026xb4.jpg

0000027kh2.jpg

Same bench built 20 yrs ago. Still heavy as hell, but stable. Takes 2 men and a small boy to move the **** thing.

great design for a large bench. Go to www.6mmbr.com and search under the blogs for a neat design for a small portable foldup bench to take to matches. It is built off a black and decker folding benchmate. I had built one similar and use it a lot at matches.

BH

Bounty Hunter

I have got some plans an Pic s of the best shooting bench that I have seen .

I will look them up an post them tomorrow
You can change out the press , case trimer , what ever you need .

Redbone

Cabela's Reloading Bench

Try this one. Took me 30 minutes to put it together except that I completly changed the plans and made it 4'X8' with an upper and lower top and bottom shelf. Then I took and mounted the shelves in the middle of the table so that each side was actually 8'X2' and the peg board back on the shelves makes the back side of the shelves on one side and a full sheet peg board on the other. It sits in the middle of the room so it can be accesed from either side. One side is a reloading bench and the other is a cleaning and repair bench. I always stand when I reload so it is of a perfect height for this. I also dispensed with the middle shelf as I need more height. Very stable. Especially when I put all my junk on the lower shelf. 20MM ammo cans of brass and such. I have 2 RCBS Rockchuckers mounted on one end and on the other there is a Mec 9000G 12 ga and plans for another Mec 9000G in 20 gauge. Plenty of shelf space.

Cabelas has them on their web site.

Cabela's -- 2x4 Basics® Bench Kit

Last edited:
HeskethPritchard

Can you send me your email address where I can send you these Plans .

They are the Best Plans that i have ever saw .

I do knot know how to post them on here .

when you get them may be you can post them here .

Redbone

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.