reloading and shooting magazines

sambo

what magazines you read for reloading and shooting. i'm looking for the most informative ones

thanks sambo

I would suggest a subscription to Precision Shooting, as they deal w/ a lot of nit-picky loading stuff that can be handy for LR work... be aware that they do cater mainly to the BR and HighPower competition crowd first, and everything else second (IMHO). You may have to sift thru the articles for stuff that you can apply, but in general, it's better than the grocery store magazines (aka 'rack-grade') where you rarely if ever (I can thing of *one*, and only one) see a negative review, and usually there is a large, prominently displayed *advertisement* for the product/company under discussion right next to the article. Happens very occasionally in PS, but not often, and not near as flagrantly. Most of the articles seem to be more along the lines of someone writing in to describe their experiences, rather than to plug a given companies product. Note that I said *most*, not all. I have heard rumblings that the PS editor/publisher is rather partial to articles by certain authors, and not always open to others. They also publish The Accurate Rifle (TAR) magazine, which is a bit more hunting/nostalgia/history oriented, but still very good.

Another non-rack-grade magazine that is a bit harder to come by is the Varmint Hunters Association magazine. Best way to get it is a membership to the Varmint Hunters Association. Occasionally you can find a newstand edition floating about, but I get the impression that it is thinner/otherwise watered down from the subscription edition (yikes, the ones I've seen are darn good as is!). Definitely on my to-get list here in the near future.

Otherwise, I flip thru the articles in the magazines in the stores, and if there is an article in there by an author I respect, I'll usually pony up the $$$ for it. Otherwise, I pass on spending the money for a subscription to paid advertisements, stories about canned hunts, or accuracy reviews by guys that can't shoot worth a tinker's ****, even compared to me
wink.gif

YMMV,

Monte

Handloader and Rifle have very good info in general. I am also partial to Rifle Shooter.

For the most part, this and similar boards are going to give you cutting edge info. If you take the time and go into the archives, you will find more info then you know what to do with.

Post your questions. We will certainly give you our two cents worth.

Jerry

thanks guys for your replies, i went ahead and ordered the rifleshooter and handloader magazines. i was getting tired from paying top dollars for off the rack magazines. i know the information in this message board and others are much better than any subscription you can buy.

thanks again sambo

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts