Reloading advice for .243 using IMR 4064 for 108gr ELD match

friendfield

Hello,
This is my first time posting here but I've been utilizing the forums here for a couple years passively. I've run into trouble this year with shortages on everything.

I'm reloading .243 brass with Hornady 108gr ELD buy the only smokeless power I have is IMR 4064 (which I was using previously to reload 58gr varmint rounds).

I've read elsewhere of people finding success using this powder for bigger bullets in 30-06 but can't find good loading data in .243 with 108gr rounds and Hornady doesn't even publish data with that powder.

I'm looking to load for deer hunting and hoping someone can share their ideal packing advice?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
This is my first time posting here but I've been utilizing the forums here for a couple years passively. I've run into trouble this year with shortages on everything.

I'm reloading .243 brass with Hornady 108gr ELD buy the only smokeless power I have is IMR 4064 (which I was using previously to reload 58gr varmint rounds).

I've read elsewhere of people finding success using this powder for bigger bullets in 30-06 but can't find good loading data in .243 with 108gr rounds and Hornady doesn't even publish data with that powder.

I'm looking to load for deer hunting and hoping someone can share their ideal packing advice?

Thanks in advance!
None in the lead book either the closest I could get as a 107 green jacket in bullet but your pound or not listed
image.jpg

Sure is lots of data out there but not much powder availability or choice.

My choice for 105-108 grain bullets in the .243 Win is RL23 and I am carefully saving my RL23 stash for shooting steel up to 1,000 yards with my 8 twist .243W. However, I have had excellent results with Power Pro (PP) 4000MR, like 42.5 grains with 105 grain Hornady hpbt & 105 grain Barnes Match Burners. Powder Valley (site) has 4000MR & a pound of it will go for somewhat under $60 including shipping - best to buy 2 pounds if Powder Valley allows that.

Load data is nice & essential but often does not include all choices due to economic restraints. My Hornady manual, V10, has .243W data using 4000MR. Powder burn rate charts are intended for general guidance, not to replace actual load data. The Hodgdon powder burn rate chart places 4000MR faster than IMR 4350 but others place it slower than RL19 & just above H4831 and I have observed that. PP4000MR is an excellent powder for 180 & heavier bullets in the .300 WM. Many shooter only use what is presented and touted best thus causing shortages but other powder stocks like 4000MR have more availability.

Another "odd ball" powder that might be available is Nobel Tubal 8000 - sort of like H4831. Vihta Vuori VN165 works well. Hodgdon 100V is sort of like 4000MR and has some availability.

Powder Valley is my first choice for on-line powder buying and they use "Captcha" to prevent bot raid buying. I think this makes for more availability.

Edit: just checked for 4000MR at Powder Valley - 4000MR is "out of stock" but periodically is available - I need more 4000MR for .243W & .300WM. Winchester StaBall has some availability, Hodgdon data available for .243W, sort of like 4000MR in burn rate: I have never used it but plan to this Friday.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
Go to Hogdon.com / navigate the website to the load data. Then plug in your information, hit update

Go to Hogdon.com / navigate the website to the load data. Then plug in your information, hit update
Thanks but they don't have data on the only powder I have available. Following on what someone else posted, I don't think I can use the imr 4046 with the 108 gr due to the case load problem throwing off accuracy :(. Was hoping to get someone here who has overcome the lack of data before I learned about that. I'll just have to keep looking for a powder that works.