Reloading 9mm

As a competitive shooter there are many good recommendations given to you. Right now folks are selling Dillon progressive reloaders at a decent price.
One word of advice I would give you is if you load coated bullets watch what you buy. Don't buy fly by night bullets. Blue Bullets, Delta, Bear Creek are a few good ones. I know I didn't mention others but they are good ones out there.
Range brass is fine. Star line is great but I would darn make sure I picked it all back up because of the price.
Me personally I use a Dillon 650, vectan GM3 powder, Winchester primers and Bear Creek bullets.

Hey all,

I know this doesn't fit the Long Range Hunting that this site is, however, I trust you guys more than any other forum.

I would like to start reloading for my Glock 19 (9mm). I recently started reloading for centerfire rifle, however, pistol seems to be fairly different.

What all do you recommend for the following:

Brass (thinking Starline?)
Dies (thinking Lee 4 die?)
Primer (thinking CCI 500?)
Powder (?)
Bullet (practice only, no home defense)

Sounds like you never trim 9mm brass? That seems odd if it headspaces off the case mouth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks all,
Steve
Starline good brass and less expensive .

Just be careful loading for Glocks with the unsupported chamber. Replacement barrels are available to remedy this.

You can load cast bullets in a Glock if it is sized right for the barrel, as with all other pistols.

Also, VV N340 is an excellent powder for 9mm and 45 ACP, plus others.

I pour my own lead Bullets and powder coat them. Primer costs 4 cents and powder 1 cent. I shoot into a sand trap I designed and collect all my bullets to remelt so they are free again and again. So, a nickel a shot every time. I have discovered that my bullets have to be sized .356, not .357 or they will not feed 100% of the time. Also, get you a Wilson case gauge to check your Ammo by and you are golden.

You can buy bulk 9mm ammo so cheaply that you really can't reload it for less. At the moment bulk ammo is a bit scarce but it's normally inexpensive and easy to obtain. I reload everything except for 22 rimfire and 9mm.
I reload 40 S&W but there is only a very small savings because it cost more than 9mm even in bulk ammo sales.
I agree with this! While I still reload for some handgun rounds, I stopped reloading for 9mm. Even the bulk Remington/Winchester is a push in terms of cost vs reloading....No trade off in accuracy.

First, great call to bring up case gauge, a must.

I actually stopped reloading practice 223/9mm years ago but still reload for 9mm match gun and have all the tools from before. I started reloading practice 223/9mm just recently due to availability issues and already have to tools and many components. I also shoot and reload a lot of 45 ACP and can usually use same powders for 9mm even if not optimal for 9mm.

Lee 1000 progressive press with lee 3 pice die set. 75% of my brass I picked up from the range the rest i bought once fired and cleaned. CCI is a good primer it feeds well in the press. CFE Pistol is my powder of choice it works as well in my 40. As for target u can get Berrys 125gr. FMJ or just load 125gr. Hornady XTP. They do great on steel up closes and fragments are near nothing. But I have put down a car struck 900 lb steer from 25 ft with a shot to the forehead. Just my opinions.

Hey all,

I know this doesn't fit the Long Range Hunting that this site is, however, I trust you guys more than any other forum.

I would like to start reloading for my Glock 19 (9mm). I recently started reloading for centerfire rifle, however, pistol seems to be fairly different.

What all do you recommend for the following:

Brass (thinking Starline?)
Dies (thinking Lee 4 die?)
Primer (thinking CCI 500?)
Powder (?)
Bullet (practice only, no home defense)

Sounds like you never trim 9mm brass? That seems odd if it headspaces off the case mouth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks all,
Steve

I used to shoot IPSC with a 9x21 (able to make Major) I used Starline and Win small rifle. Win 231, and lead for practice and jacketed for matches (after scrubbing the Barrel) over 15k rounds loaded on my Dillon 550.
Just remember with the polygonal rifling in Glocks there has been an issue with Lead bullets, and Glock does not recommend them. The Jacked rounds I got are from Montana Gold and also look at gibrass.com Bartlett has some pretty good prices for both Cases and bullets.

You can buy bulk 9mm ammo so cheaply that you really can't reload it for less. At the moment bulk ammo is a bit scarce but it's normally inexpensive and easy to obtain. I reload everything except for 22 rimfire and 9mm.
I reload 40 S&W but there is only a very small savings because it cost more than 9mm even in bulk ammo sales.

Not true if you bought many thousands of bullets and primers and pounds of powder when Obama was re-elected. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts