Reloading 7MM rem mag for the first time

nyale1218

Getting ready to reload 7MM rem mag for the first time. I know it is a belted case and was wondering what is the best procedure for sizing, use a FL resizing die or just a collet neck sizing die.

How many times can I reload the brass. Iv read some guys only getting two firings out of the brass. shooting a Browning A Bolt. Im a little confused never reloaded a belted case before.

All brass im loading from was shot out of the gun.

Thanks for any help.

Getting ready to reload 7MM rem mag for the first time. I know it is a belted case and was wondering what is the best procedure for sizing, use a FL resizing die or just a collet neck sizing die.

How many times can I reload the brass. Iv read some guys only getting two firings out of the brass. shooting a Browning A Bolt. Im a little confused never reloaded a belted case before.

All brass im loading from was shot out of the gun.

Thanks for any help.

Don't be intimidated. It's just like regular bottleneck cases (non-belted). If the brass was fired out of that chamber, you can get away with neck-sizing a couple times, then FL sizing after about 2-3 firings

If someone is only getting 2 firings, they're running them WAY WAY WAY WAY too hot. I have plenty of 7mmRM on it's 5th+ firing and it's all perfect.

Nosler brass is always perfect, I highly recommend it. It's what I primarily use, and it's the only brass I use in my hunting rifles.

But if you were short on funds for Nosler, I recommend Winchester or Hornady brass. I have a bunch of Winchester brass, that once I FL sized them, they've worked perfect.

And if you can find some Win nickle brass, let me know where, so I can get some more! :D

Words of wisdom ; Don't use excessive lube on the neck shoulder area = oil dents
:D I full length size every time to fit my case to my gun , as its accuracy that counts in my book = consistancy

I have 20 Winchester cases that I am using for load work up in my new 7mag. They are all on their 5th reload and shows no signs of dying anytime soon. I set my FL die to bump the shoulder just enough to chamber. Only trimmed them once so far. I completely ignore that silly belt and so far it's worked with my gun just like it has the last 20+ years for my brother's.

Your chamber is built using one reamer. Your die is built using a different reamer probably 100'ds miles away. As reamers are used they get worn our. Hence they start larger than they end up and get thrown out at a Minimum size.

So you have this variable in actual sizes of finished product. So if you get a chamber with a new reamer (large) and buy a die just before they threw it out (small) you'll have a lot of brass working back and forth. Hence your case life will be shortened.

I used to get 12 - 15 rounds out of my 7Mm Mag brass. But I always had just a bit of a snug fit when chambering which I never worried about.

Of course it's a given that the other issue is how close to maximum your loading the brass.

Therefore neck sizing works the brass the least.

I don't understand the logic of full length sizing every "3-4" round. A case can't expand any larger than your chamber except for length. So if your OAL is kept in check then all should be good. Your cases are "fire formed" with every shot. So I think it's just a worried loaded that FL's his brass periodically?

He may not need to FL size every 3-4 rounds. But sometimes the brass can work-harden and loose elasticity with a fat out of spec factory chamber (possibly), and might be tough or tight when pushing the cartridge in or extracting after firing. And sometimes a FL is all it needs to get another couple firings out of that brass.

I wasn't give him a specific order, just a guideline.

This scenario was what I had to do with my STW brass because it has a very generous factory chamber girth... But I haven't touched the rifle because it shoots so **** well, I've learned to work around the issue.

Now, my custom 7mm RM's have been reamed with a custom reamer ordered to very tight specs so the brass doesn't grow much. I haven't had the first sign of needing to FL size in over 3 firings from new Nosler brass. And it barely has any width growth above the belt/web area because the reamer tolerances were so tight. Ejects like a dream everytime, even when loaded hot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.