Reloading 6.5 x 06

I get the best results by necking down .270 brass.

I start with a .270 F/L die and remove the expander button & decap unit. I then size the brass but but with minus head-space (not enough head space). This reduces neck diameter and leaves some allowance for a nice crush fit after subsequent operations..

I then size the brass in a 6.5-06 die with an expander button. This forms the inside of the neck to the correct diameter for holding the bullet. Head space in adjusted so bolt just closes. Stripped bolt will have a tiny bit of resistance on closing

Then trim to 2.484.

Potential problems:

Excess neck wall thickness if forming .30-06 brass, fix is to neck turn. I turn my 6.5-06 necks to .288 to fit my tight neck chambers.

From .25-06, possibility of run out, part of .25-06 shoulder becomes 6.5-06 neck, axis of neck not in line with chamber if necking up .25-06 brass but after fire forming this will be fixed. Not much difference in bore size .257 vs .264, like .007. Not much of a concern. Take a cotton swab dip it into 3 in 1 graphite lock lube, lube inside of neck and run .25-06 brass into 6.5-06 F/L die with an expander button. Probably the easiest way to make 6.5-06. Keep on reading and this will probably mean .25-06 brass will be used.

Fired brass has work hardened necks and spring back making for neck tension variations, fix is to anneal brass.

After firing brass should allow a nice slip fit with .264 bullet placed in neck of fired cartridge.

You will need:

6.5-06 F/L die, or F/L bushing die with a the right size bushing. Fired cases should allow for a slip fit .264 bullet into neck. This means measuring fired cases. Chambers vary.
Case trimmer.
Caliper to measure case length.

Then getting deeper;

Neck turner with 6.5 pilot
Way to anneal brass - I use a simple loop tip with a propane torch. Brass necks are held just outside of flame and toasted for 30 seconds then tipped over into 1/2 inch of water in a shallow pan. http://www.woodchuckden.com/catalog/catalog2016.pdf, page 6, right side, $53.95.

It would be a good idea to measure your rifle's twist rate. Many older 6.5-06 rifles have 1-10 twists that will not stabilize 140 or some 130 grain bullets. Tight patch on rod then shoved into bore, tape on rod with mark, then pull rod out watching for 1 complete rev of rod then measure from some fixed reference point.

Your rifle might be a M98 Mauser type. If so stripping the bolt involves pulling back cocking piece then placing dime between coking piece & bolt shroud, depressing bolt lock & turning out pin assembly from bolt body. Good idea to check this out. The M98 is one of the better battle rifles & designed for field maintenance with very simple tools.

Looks like some project! Feel free to send PM for specific help.

I have made cases from .280 Rem, .270 Win and .25-06. I agree that the .25-06 cases are the best even though they cost nearly double what .270 Win cases cost. .270 case necks end up thicker and you may need to turn the necks. One of the lower cost alternatives, the Serbian Partizan cases in .25-06 have worked well for me. Anneal your case necks.

What is the twist of your barrel? What bullets interest you? I will send you some data.

One of the greatest so called wildcats that very few have ever heard about...they are capable of outstanding accuracy and easy on cases and your wallet...why it never caught on is anyone's guess...

Hello,
I picked up a FN HERSTAL BELGIUM made 6.5 x 06. Along with 125 reloaded rounds which were useless. They would not chamber in the rifle, the bolt wouldn't close. My question do they still produce brass for this rifle. These reloads were 30-6 Springfield brass. If u look in the reloading manual both pieces spec out the same. The last question is where can I get dies for the 6.5 x 06 or are they obsolete. Thank u so much
The die set you are looking for is the 6.5mm 06 A Square. Its a three die set. I bought mine, a Redding set, through Graf and Sons for a very decent price.

Hi Hugnot,
so it sounds like you recommend the 25 06 brass and neck up. If I get the 25 06 brass do I full length size it with 25-06 dies if so how do I neck up. I am lost at this point. I need help on procedure Hugnot. What are the steps the how to and what dies I need. Thank u so much I'm glad I met someone else who likes the wildcat cartridge.
I've been shooting a Mauser action 6.5-06 with a heavy Douglas barrel for over 40 years now. Most all my brass is made from 25-06. The load that rifle likes best is 54 grains IMR 4350 pushing 120 grain Nosler ballistic tips. I've chrono'd that round at 3140 fps and accurate to 700 yards. I love that rifle... :)

Recent Posts