Reloading 6.5 x 06

victocast

Hello,
I picked up a FN HERSTAL BELGIUM made 6.5 x 06. Along with 125 reloaded rounds which were useless. They would not chamber in the rifle, the bolt wouldn't close. My question do they still produce brass for this rifle. These reloads were 30-6 Springfield brass. If u look in the reloading manual both pieces spec out the same. The last question is where can I get dies for the 6.5 x 06 or are they obsolete. Thank u so much

The 6.5-06 is a real popular wildcat & all sorts of dies are available for it. The current ammo/component situation might cause some problems in finding 6.5-06 dies. Load data appears in most manuals. The Berger manual has a good write up on the 6.5-06.

Almost all 6.5-06 shooters make their brass by necking down or up .30-06, .270W or .25-06. The easiest is to neck up ..25-06. After necking down or up the brass needs to be trimmed to spec length.

Upon necking down .30-06 brass, neck turning is usually needed. Standard full length dies will neck down brass..

Quality Cartridge sells 6.5-06 brass but it is real pricy.

The 6.5-06 is one of my favorites and I have been loading & shooting one for almost 55 years. I get into turning necks, annealing, and trimming but when I started out I made my brass from .270 brass & only trimmed it.

The 6.5-06 is a real popular wildcat & all sorts of dies are available for it. The current ammo/component situation might cause some problems in finding 6.5-06 dies. Load data appears in most manuals. The Berger manual has a good write up on the 6.5-06.

Almost all 6.5-06 shooters make their brass by necking down or up .30-06, .270W or .25-06. The easiest is to neck up ..25-06. After necking down or up the brass needs to be trimmed to spec length.

Upon necking down .30-06 brass, neck turning is usually needed. Standard full length dies will neck down brass..

Quality Cartridge sells 6.5-06 brass but it is real pricy.

The 6.5-06 is one of my favorites and I have been loading & shooting one for almost 55 years. I get into turning necks, annealing, and trimming but when I started out I made my brass from .270 brass & only trimmed it.
Hi Hugnot,
so it sounds like you recommend the 25 06 brass and neck up. If I get the 25 06 brass do I full length size it with 25-06 dies if so how do I neck up. I am lost at this point. I need help on procedure Hugnot. What are the steps the how to and what dies I need. Thank u so much I'm glad I met someone else who likes the wildcat cartridge.

Love my 6.5-06. Mine is the Ack Imp version. All the major die makers make dies. I prefer Redding Type S (personal preference).
To expand, get 264 neck mandrel and holder (I like Sinclair's). Use STP or Imperial Die Wax. Lube your case necks well and resize from 257-264. Clean necks, chamfer and load. Easy - peazy.

I neck down 270 winchester brass, and then trim by about .050 or so. Mostly I use 270 because I also have 2 25-06's, and dont want to do anything stupid. Also, I can, or did get a supply of Peterson brass, so the quality was better than most, as well as creating less confusion. I'm using H100V powder behind 140 grain speer gold dots, and I'm getting .5 or less moa accuracy @ 100, but the rifle is plenty capable. The person I bought it from sent me a target he shot with it @ 300 yards. 1/2" group. Lordy, I can't even dream of shooting that good, but it's nice knowing the rifle is capable.

This is what I do for dies. I bought a set of RCBS bushing dies for my 25-06 with a micrometer seating die. Since I also have bushing dies for my 264 win mag, I just use those bushings. Incidentally, the redding and rcbs bushings will interchange, so that's kinda nice.

Love my 6.5-06. Mine is the Ack Imp version. All the major die makers make dies. I prefer Redding Type S (personal preference).
To expand, get 264 neck mandrel and holder (I like Sinclair's). Use STP or Imperial Die Wax. Lube your case necks well and resize from 257-264. Clean necks, chamfer and load. Easy - peazy.
i just had a man offer me to purchase his 6.5 06 dies from our forums, so now I guess I should buy bras. with your recommendation what brass should I purchase. Also do I need the mandrel in 2.64. I use all LE Wilson equipmen. thank u for your input I appreciate it.

My first choice in brass would be either Norma or Nosler. If I couldn't locate either of those, I'd go Remington followed by Winchester. If I got desperate, then I'd have to go Federal, and if I got extra desperate, then I'd just buy range brass or once fired. In all honesty tho, you might have better luck finding 270 or 280 brass. I just bought 50 new pieces of nickel plated 280 brass for $35. Ran em' through my 25-06 die with my largest bushing for my 264, then ran em' through the same die with a 25 cal bushing, and then trimmed. Just like that, 50 new pieces of brass for my 25-06.

I would use .270 Win brass, anneal it first, partially neck it down (more on this in a moment), and trim it to length.

The partial sizing will be just enough to allow the case to be snugly seated into the chamber by leaving a false shoulder so your brass will headspace correctly in your chamber.
It might be that you already have a minimum chamber and full length sizing will be perfect without any false shoulder being needed, but doing the first few cases this way will let you know in a hurry.

I'm partial to Redding S Bushing dies.

From heavy to light bullets, I'm partial to Retumbo, IMR7977, H-1000, H-4831SC, and IMR-4350. Try MR primers, you might be surprised at the accuracy improvements!

Best wishes on your new project!

Ed

Maybe I'm a little different but I prefer to neck down when possible to simply try and avoid a donut if possible. Necking up will produce onesince part of the shoulder becomes part of the neck. If you have the freebore to seat above the neck shoulder junction then no worries.
I think Lapua 30-06 brass is the best brass available but if you dont neck turn then that may not be an option unless your neck chamber is around .300.
Redding 30-06 type S FL bushing die with the proper bushing and expander is an option.

I use 270 brass for mine as well since I also shoot a 25-06 & 30-06. I have Redding Type S Bushing dies as well as a Trim die.
I resize the case, and then run it in the trim die and trim it to length. Chamfer inside & out, then it's ready to load.