Reloading 6.5 CM

Since this keeps getting kicked around......find a friend with a chronograph or pick one up. They are super valuable tools. Trying to work up a load without one is like.....well you can imagine.

You can pick up a Competition Electronice (CE) for not much over $100. I have one from when they were one of my sponsors back in the mid 90's. Still going strong.

Of course you can spend a lot more.

Look at it like purchasing a safe, it gives you peace of mind.

I bought the cheapy Caldwell for under 100 bucks a few years ago. It's not the best which isn't too critical for me because I verify my loads out to at least 800 yards. There's a pretty good thread on the ProChrono vs Magneto Speed. Since the OP mentioned the shortage of components it may help to get the most "bang out of your buck" ;)

I personaly have had very good luck with Hornady 6.5 CM 143ELDX, I would like to duplicate this factory round by reloading, So if I follow prescribed data published and get the same accuracy should I expect the same down range performance? I dont have a chronograph but I have a 100 and 200 yard range at the house,So matching published velocity and getting the same accuracy = same results? I have finally got the bullits, a few powders brick of primers and dont want to waste 'em.
No..alot of other factors come into play.
I wish it was that simple.Get yourself Chronograph. It will help you alot and save alot of primers and powder Good Luck

I wouldn't worry about matching the factory ammo. I'd just concentrate on making accurate ammo. Without a chrono and a 100-200 yard range it's hard to match the velocities and trajectories of the factory ammo. So if accuracy is you're end goal then your range will suffice. If you want to match the velocities for hunting ammo then you'll need a chorno or longer ranges to try too figure out if your trajectories are the same. It's not perfect but it kinda retroactively engineers your loads. I did that for thirty some odd years until I finally broke down and got a chrono lol.
Get a magnetospeed. Love mine! You can do better than factory ammo. Test the seating by doing .005 x5 increments at low powder charge off the lands. Next work up the powder in .003 increments. You can't do this without a chrono but you can come close by checking moa. Problem is you need a chrono to find that sweet spot where you have the least variance in fps. Yesterday I tested hornady 147gr 6.5 prc and the variance was about 60 fps... Too much for an accurate long range load. Fps was 3010 to 3068.

I ended up 42.2 grains h4350 and it works in 3 creedmoors. The longest barreled one dings a plate at 1400yards with a velocity of 2755. The 22 inch barrel ones run around 2725.

There is no pressure signs. This lot of h4350 is 5 years old so you would need to start lower and work up watching for pressure for your gun and powder lot.

Press on - after you have a Chrongraph available. I wanted to dupicate the Hornady A-max Black 168gr .308. I am getting the same accuracy, but my loads are about 200fps higher velocity. And that works good enough for me.

I don't know why you would want to replicate factory ammo in 6.5 creed for the 143eldx unless you are shooting an ar10.

Hornady precision hunter has a 2.800" oal which really limits you in what you can do in the way of velocity and acuracy in a bolt action rifle.

Stretch it out to 2.850 or even 2.875-2.880"

This is what i reload for. It out of a ruger American predator. $450 dollar rifle. Before I had lapua brass. Seems like h4350 is the cats meow for the creedmoor. I love shooting cats.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210511-094711_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210511-094711_Gallery.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 150
Also ....i love the magneto chrono. It definitely takes the guess work out of load development. I shot my magneto and my 25 year old Shooting crony simultaneously just to mess around. They were only like 15 fps apart. The chrony was slower each time. So if you find someone with an old crony .....try to buy it. Tell them its old, outdated, probably doesnt read properly. Lol . Get it for a good price. Then you can develop loads with a safe feeling. Also ....my crony has taken a few rounds in places it shouldn't have.....but keeds working. My son uses it now

I am fortunate to have some RL16 & a MagnetoSpeed chrony. Powders in the 4350 speed range seem to work well in the 6.5 CM with bullets in the 130-140 grain range. Bullets in the 120 grain range would do well with RL15 & IMR 8208. Other powders such as StaBall & 4000 MR might also be considered. With the chrony data & ballistic tables, like found on the Berger & Hornady site, reasonably good ballistic projections may be done. Depending on the bullet, 3-4 boxes of bullets will would buy a MagnetoSpeed.

Last edited:
Get a magnetospeed. Love mine! You can do better than factory ammo. Test the seating by doing .005 x5 increments at low powder charge off the lands. Next work up the powder in .003 increments. You can't do this without a chrono but you can come close by checking moa. Problem is you need a chrono to find that sweet spot where you have the least variance in fps. Yesterday I tested hornady 147gr 6.5 prc and the variance was about 60 fps... Too much for an accurate long range load. Fps was 3010 to 3068.
Chrono is just a guide. Hitting at distance is the test.

I am fortunate to have some RL16 & a MagnetoSpeed chrony. Powders in the 4350 speed range seem to work well in the 6.5 CM with bullets in the 130-140 grain range. Bullets in the 120 grain range would do well with RL15 & IMR 8208. Other powders such as StaBall & 4000 MR might also be considered. With the chrony data & ballistic tables like found on the Berger & Hornady site reasonably good ballistic projections may be done. Depending on the bullet, 3-4 boxes of bullets will would buy a MagnetoSpeed.
You can buy 2 magnetospeed or 3 Caldwell chronos for the price of 1000 primers on GBker

You can buy a Caldwell Crono on Amazon for about a $100.
I am sure there are better ones,but I am happy with mine,wish I had got it long time ago.