Reloading 6.5 CM

deaddownrange

I personaly have had very good luck with Hornady 6.5 CM 143ELDX, I would like to duplicate this factory round by reloading, So if I follow prescribed data published and get the same accuracy should I expect the same down range performance? I dont have a chronograph but I have a 100 and 200 yard range at the house,So matching published velocity and getting the same accuracy = same results? I have finally got the bullits, a few powders brick of primers and dont want to waste 'em.

Well, a lot goes into replicating a load. Did they include the recipe on the box of factory ammo? They do that for Match ammo sometimes.

Should be able to reproduce that within a grain, start lower and work up.

I think they use H4350...you could get CBTO length from factory ammo and start low and work up with H4350 until velocity matches.

But I would want someone to confirm the powder bc I am not 100% certain.

To answer your questions. You are basically right. Know that once your brass has been fired once it may change things a little. The primers all look the same but in my rifle Federal 205 GMM, I have small rifle primer Lapua brass, shot 1/2 the size groups as CCI BR4 primers. Always work up to any published data you get off of the internet. I have also had great results with 43.3 grains of RL23 and the 205 GMM primers. Good luck, and congratulations on finding bullets, primers and powder in these times.

Attachments

• Best CM.jpg
    Best CM.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 154
To answer your question: No

Far too many variables. There is no way to know velocity without a chronograph. Published figures can be WAY off.

If you are keeping target ranges within what you have available to shoot, then you can figure out the ballistics. As you stretch further every small detail becomes important.

When the CM first came out Hornady published data powder and load on the box. They now use a proprietary powder. I've had absolutely no issue matching my handloads to boxed ammo when it comes to velocity. Boxed ammo seated differently shoots about 1MOA. Handloads are half that.

I personaly have had very good luck with Hornady 6.5 CM 143ELDX, I would like to duplicate this factory round by reloading, So if I follow prescribed data published and get the same accuracy should I expect the same down range performance? I dont have a chronograph but I have a 100 and 200 yard range at the house,So matching published velocity and getting the same accuracy = same results? I have finally got the bullits, a few powders brick of primers and dont want to waste 'em.
I wouldn't worry about matching the factory ammo. I'd just concentrate on making accurate ammo. Without a chrono and a 100-200 yard range it's hard to match the velocities and trajectories of the factory ammo. So if accuracy is you're end goal then your range will suffice. If you want to match the velocities for hunting ammo then you'll need a chorno or longer ranges to try too figure out if your trajectories are the same. It's not perfect but it kinda retroactively engineers your loads. I did that for thirty some odd years until I finally broke down and got a chrono lol.

I wouldn't worry about matching the factory ammo. I'd just concentrate on making accurate ammo.
X2. Why hamstring yourself with what the factory box does? The easiest part of reloading is making something better for your gun than the factory can make. The hard part is making it the best for your gun.

X2. Why hamstring yourself with what the factory box does? The easiest part of reloading is making something better for your gun than the factory can make. The hard part is making it the best for your gun.
You quoted just one line. If you read the whole post then it's self explanatory. Without a chorno or ranges beyond 100 or 200 yards he's not going to be able to match, or exceed factory velocities with any degree of accuracy. Meaning he won't be able to get a good read on his trajectory so his guesses on velocity are questionable. I'd want to shoot out to 700 yards or more to match factory velocities. And that's still just a guess on what the true velocities are.

Pretty easy to match the accuracy of those loads if they are shooting well for you. Match them in seating depth, get some h4350 and do a load workup. You prob end up between 41-42gr range.
If you want better accuracy than the factory load that is also pretty easy to achieve.

So if I follow prescribed data published and get the same accuracy should I expect the same down range performance?
So matching published velocity and getting the same accuracy = same results?
I personaly have had very good luck with Hornady 6.5 CM 143ELDX,

Are you asking about "on game" down range performance/results by shooting/loading the same bullet used in the factory offerings?🤔 If so, then I would think the answer to that question would be "yes".......but only "IF" you had some means of measuring/monitoring velocity in the process.

Well, a lot goes into replicating a load.
To answer your question: No

Far too many variables. There is no way to know velocity without a chronograph.
Published figures can be WAY off.

If you are keeping target ranges within what you have available to shoot, then you can figure out the ballistics. As you stretch further every small detail becomes important.
I wouldn't worry about matching the factory ammo. I'd just concentrate on making accurate ammo. Without a chrono and a 100-200 yard range it's hard to match the velocities and trajectories of the factory ammo. So if accuracy is you're end goal then your range will suffice. If you want to match the velocities for hunting ammo then you'll need a chorno or longer ranges to try too figure out if your trajectories are the same. It's not perfect but it kinda retroactively engineers your loads. I did that for thirty some odd years until I finally broke down and got a chrono lol.
^^^These!^^^

Let me put it this way. Hornady's published speed is 2700 fps and you zero at 100 yards. Your 200 drop is -3.8" @ 2200 ft elevation. If your ammo is starting out at 2600 fps your 200 yard drop is -4.2". That's less than a half inch difference at 200 yards. That's not enough difference in trajectory to give you much feedback imo.

Recent Posts