Reloading 338 Win Mag 225 GR

stevesdl

Is anyone reloading 338 Win Mag with either BTSX or NAB?

I purchased a new 338 Win Mag a month ago. After waiting around trying to purchase Federal's Fusion 225 at a decent price but never finding it for a decent price I have really given thought to reloading and using either BTSX or NAB (Elk and Mule Deer in CO)

I already have the brass from previous Federal NAB rounds. Can one give me a close approximation of just what that particular round would cost per 50 or 100 or apiece. I am willing to invest in reloading if it will be at least a little worth it. I do not care about the time involved or my cost in time.

Thanks
Stevesdl

Is anyone reloading 338 Win Mag with either BTSX or NAB?

I purchased a new 338 Win Mag a month ago. After waiting around trying to purchase Federal's Fusion 225 at a decent price but never finding it for a decent price I have really given thought to reloading and using either BTSX or NAB (Elk and Mule Deer in CO)

I already have the brass from previous Federal NAB rounds. Can one give me a close approximation of just what that particular round would cost per 50 or 100 or apiece. I am willing to invest in reloading if it will be at least a little worth it. I do not care about the time involved or my cost in time.

Thanks
Stevesdl

The two primary reasons I reload is to be able to shoot ammunition optimized to my particular rifles which is very satisfying, and because I "really" enjoy it. I'm retired. It's all about having fun.

I can't tell you what ammunition costs me per cartridge. The price of components changes, I have old primers and new primers, and I don't count the cost of the equipment. That said, having loaded about 6,000 rounds of handgun ammo and 4,000 rounds of rifle ammo (based on primer consumption), all in the last 4 years, I'm pretty sure I'm well past the breakeven point on what it would have cost me to buy off the shelf ammo. The most savings happen on big cartridges like the .300 and .338 magnums and ultra magnums. I'd estimate you can make back your investment in good name brand reloading equipment in the first 1,000 rounds loading .300 and .338 mags and ultra mags.

Bottom line, get yourself an RCBS RockChucker kit or the Redding equivelant with a good cast iron "D" press, and have at it. You will find yourself shooting more, enjoying it more, and putting bullets right where you intended them to go more often than before you started loading your own. If you are going to mostly load big cartridges you might consider a Redding UltraMag - it is excellent for any cartridge but one of the best for big magnums.

You will get more fun out of it than the equivelant investment in a whole lot of things.

My recommendation: buy a Speer reloading manual, read the front part of it which in a totally excellent introduction to the basic what & why of reloading. Work into it from there. You'll be glad you did.

Fitch

Well said Mr. Fitch. Im a Hornady guy myself,and relitavely new to handloading, but seems to me the bennifit well out weighs the cost of getting started. Custom taylored ammo to your particular rifle shoots better hands down! Not to mention if you load for multiple calibers that can use some of the same components(sometimes it works), for example IMR4831 powder works in my 30-06, 300wby,270wsm, and as soon as i get the dies, my 338win mag. Is it the best powder for all 4 calibers,....no, but I can taylor up a load to out-perform most factory stuff for way less $. Im still in the process of colecting more equipment and components, so the more I get, the more I save in the long run.

Cabellas 2009' shooting catalog prices for bullets only
.225 gr tsx for 338=43.99 per 50
.225 gr ttsx for 338=45.99 per 50
.225 gr nab for 338=33.99 per 50
Roughly the same cost of a CHEAP factory box of 338 win mag ammo. But if you were to buy factory ammo loaded with these same bulletts, you can see the savings right away64.99 per box for Federal premiums with225 gr nab
67.99 for the same with tsx's. None of wich is ''taylored" to your rifle. I prefer the ''roll your owns'' for cost and accuracy.

This is what I came up with, general, and is lb. of powder 7000 grains I think, so bullets $36,powder & primer $13=$49 per 50. note in '92 I COULD load 100 340wm for $35 and 100 243 for $20:D Started reloading when I was 12 Only way to go

Thanks for that last post.

Well I went out to see what I could afford for reloading. :(

I will have to look at perhaps a Lee Kit but then not sure what I have to buy after the initial purchase. What I cannot afford is the $700.00 kits from other companies though.

thanks
Steve

I reload for buddies, they buy dies if I DONT HAVE THEM, might have a friend that could help you get staRTED? U sed can get you a deal also

I will have to look at perhaps a Lee Kit but then not sure what I have to buy after the initial purchase. What I cannot afford is the $700.00 kits from other companies though.

thanks
Steve

Look for good used equipment. I just bought a complete Lyman outfit for my brother in law that was sitting in a box at the local rifle shop. Press, powder measure, scales, and a bunch of other stuff. $150.00 out the door.

Cast iron presses are about idiot proof. This is pretty simple mechanical stuff. I had no problem recommending it to my brother in law. Buying used reloading equipment isn't much of a risk.

Watch the paper. Do a search on Rockchucker on EBAY.

Fitch

thanks
Steve

Steve,

I have reloaded for 35 years, started when I was 15. I still use the same RCBS press and I have loaded 10,000+ rounds with no problems. RCBS has the best customer service policy around and their kits are reasonably priced.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - MidwayUSA

All you need are the dies and components and you are ready to go! It should pay for its self in short order. You can always upgrade your equipment as time goes on but you would be farther ahead than buying 10 boxes of factory ammo.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.