reloading 338 lapua

coyote338

hello,

i am new to loading and i have procured a DILLON 550b for the task of loading 338 lapua.

the question i would like to pose to all of you is if you feel this is a decent setup for what i am going to do:

projectile: 250 or 300 grain lapua scenar (which one?)

primer: Fed 215 mag primer

brass: Lapua Brand

Powder: h1000

how does this stack up to what you guys use?

edit: i am shooting a SAKO TRG 42

I have a Dillon 550b, it is designed to progressive reload. I use mine to reload everything including a 338 RUM. But I do not progressive reload rifle ammo. I use a powder scale and check each load and manually fill the case. I use the 550b to size the brass and seat the bullet. The 550b's feature of being able to switch calibers without needing to readjust dies is very nice.

The 300g bullets work the best in the large 338s. To my mind that's why you buy a large 338. If you wish to shoot 250g bullets they are well suited to 338 win mag and 340 weatherby.

I have a Dillon 550b, it is designed to progressive reload. I use mine to reload everything including a 338 RUM. But I do not progressive reload rifle ammo. I use a powder scale and check each load and manually fill the case. I use the 550b to size the brass and seat the bullet. The 550b's feature of being able to switch calibers without needing to readjust dies is very nice.

hi guys, thanks for the responses.

so here is what i am doing:

i used the 550 to neck size the brass (lapua), and seat the primer (Federal 215).

i then remove the primed brass, and put it on a scale and set it to zero, and put the primed brass back into the press, and load the powder.

i then remove the brass with the powder loaded and weigh (i want it between 94-95 if its not i throw the powder back and do it again), i then write the charge weight on the side of the brass with a magic marker.

then i put a 250gr lapua senar into it and seat it so that the entire round sits at ABOUT 3.65 to 3.652

i write the seating depth on the brass as well

and that is how they say...that.

please tell me how you feel about my charge/ seating depth

i feel like i might be over doing it by 1-2 grains on the charge.

I don't have any experience loading 338 Lapua, so no opinion on the charge weight.
As for getting a consistent charge, it would seem easier to have a small container that you put on your scale and fill it with powder and then pour it into the brass. That would eliminate doing it twice when the powder measure is not throwing consistent charges. The weight of the charges should be perfect every time with this method.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.