reloading 308

big mike 2121

single stage, turret, or progressive reloader? Are the powder charges dropped by the progressives very accurate? Or would weighing out charges seperatly be more accurate? Would be mostly for hunting bullets.

single stage, turret, or progressive reloader? Are the powder charges dropped by the progressives very accurate? Or would weighing out charges seperatly be more accurate? Would be mostly for hunting bullets.

Unless you are burning up tons of ammo , I would recommend a standard press Like the Rock Chucker from RCBS, A good balance beam scale,also a good powder measure and tickler.

It is a less complicated way to get started and there is less chance of messing up.

A good set of dies and a reloading book is also a must.

J E CUSTOM

In my experience using both types an RCBS 4x4 and Rockchucker, the latter has actually performed just as good or actually better due to the length of the cases.

The .308 isn't hard at all to load for IME, most loads are very tolerable to a small +/- tolerance. I usually clean and size up all my cases and store them until ready to load. Then I haul out my small portable loading set up to the range and work up a load. This is pretty easy using most of the powders which are so widely used. For my particular rifle, H-4985 has show to be one that it likes over several bullet weights from 125 up through 165grs, so I simply use it. There are others which might be better for longer barrels and better built rifles but for my Ruger Compact, I am looking for hunting load accuracy of less than 2" at 100yds which it easily accomplishes with this diet.

As mentioned weighing out the loads is easily done, and not overly time consuming when loading only a hundred or so rounds. If your loading in bulk pick a powder that is forgiving and throw the charges using a measure checking every 5th or 10 charge, and keep your hopper around half full until your through. The ball powders work excellent for this as do several of the short grain stick types, find the one your rifle likes and try it both ways. Don't just look for maximum loads and you will be way ahead in the game.

Love my Redding T7 turret press. Get your dies in, adjust for headspace, and never have to move them again. Rock solid (unlike other turret presses on the market). If you're only reloading for one caliber (308), any press would be fine. I'd suggest a Forester Coax or any Redding press.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.