Reloading .222rem

Leupold

Hello to all,

I have a rifle Steyr Mannlicher in caliber .222rem. I'm trying for several weeks to find the best "recepy" that group of hits would be inside of 1 cm on 100 meters, but I'm not succesfull. So far I came inside 1,5 cm, but ... I would like that group would be in 1 cm. My components which I use are:
- Lapua match cases,
- CCI BR4 primers,
- Sierra HPBT 52 gr. (1410) bullets,
- Powder Vihtavuori N133
Has someone some good recomendation or experiances that would give better results that 1,5 cm group (100 meters)?
Please help me, I would really appreciate for your advices... Thank you!

Leupold

My best groups have been with 23.2 gr of Hogdon Benchmark and the 50gr NBT and Rem 6.5 primers. Remington does not recommend the 6.5 for the 222 but I had no trouble and groups were excellent like 10 in a dime at 100.

IMR 4198 is good as well. H335 was Walt Bergers favorite with 52gr Match FB. I would definitely try his recipe.

I have tried Benchmark, H335, H322 and IMR 4198. All from my 700 CDL with a 24" BBL VV 133 looks real fast I always found that my 700 did not like to get pushed much past 3000 fps.

Is your mannlicher a 20"bbl? If so I would concentrate on the faster burn rate powders like 4198.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

i would try I4198. also 205M primers. and maybe a 52 grain berger. 1.5 cent is not a bad group. the .222 is great round. enjoy trying for better . very pleasant to shoot. and load for. ron

Try some IMR 4198 in the .222. I had real good accuracy with it and 50-52 gr bullets.

Hello again,

In attachement I send you my best group which I shoot few weeks ago (100 meters distance). There in that "hole" are 8 shots, two are visible near (potential "flyers"). 8 shots in 1,5*1,3 cm I think is not bad, but, I would like to do somethink that group would be better. Do you think I expect too much?

In my country is not possible to get Berger's bullets and also not powder IMR :-(

Regards

Leupold

Attachments

• 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 166
Hello again,

In attachement I send you my best group which I shoot few weeks ago (100 meters distance). There in that "hole" are 8 shots, two are visible near (potential "flyers"). 8 shots in 1,5*1,3 cm I think is not bad, but, I would like to do somethink that group would be better. Do you think I expect too much?

In my country is not possible to get Berger's bullets and also not powder IMR :-(

Regards

Leupold

Welcome to the forum Leupold the group you have looks pretty good to me from a factory rifle especially one from a factory mannlicher stock. Have you tried changing COAL (Case over all length) a different primer or lighter/heavier charge weight? Norma N200 is similar to I4198.

How far from the Lans is your current loading? What is your bbl length?

Shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.