Reloading 101 - info please

There are two trains of thought on getting started. First is the buy an all in One kit including a loading manual. Hornady for an example includes everything to get started. I personally feel this is the proper way to go. The other is to get a manual and get on this site and on YouTube and see what others are using and buy it piece by piece. This is doable but it's their opinions of which you have no bases to agree or disagree. As you get more experience and continue you can then make a decision based something concrete. However in these uncertain times you might have difficulty proceeding either way. If you have a local shooting club then that is a great resource for getting started.
Good luck.
Stay safe America.
If you need some help getting started reloading. shoot me a e-mail.

Couple questions (I'm taking notes)

wet vs dry tumblers for cleaning brass??

do you de-prime the brass before you tumble and clean it?

I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos this week and learning that EVERYONE has their own opinion on the methodology so just looking for suggestions from guys that have been doing this for awhile. You never know what or who you get making videos and posting online
There are indeed many ways to skin this cat. Probably the most economical, which I am still using after 35 years of reloading, is vibratory with walnut hulls as the medium. I do deprime before polishing, but the primer pocket still needs cleaning after the polishing is done.

Just want to say thanks to all the advice and info. I have a buddy that has a RCBS press that I can use. I'm going to start collecting other parts, brass, bullets, and primers (when I can find them). I'm sure my wife is going to be super happy that I have another hobby now....haha

Just want to say thanks to all the advice and info. I have a buddy that has a RCBS press that I can use. I'm going to start collecting other parts, brass, bullets, and primers (when I can find them). I'm sure my wife is going to be super happy that I have another hobby now....haha
Did you ever say what cartridge(s) you will be loading?

Did you ever say what cartridge(s) you will be loading?
Mainly 308, 300wm, and 270. Maybe down the road 280ai or 28 Nosler when I can save the $$ to buy one.
Are the belted mags like the 300wm any different when it comes to loading? I haven't looked into it much yet because my main focus is the 308 for now

Back in the early 1980's RCBS Rockchucker had a kit that had in it everything one needed to start reloading. In it was the Speer Reloading Manual 9th edition. I have read it, referred to it and have it handy even now as I reloading. There are new powders, bullets, and cartridges but the techniques and precision necessary for a good safe load are the same now as they were with this early edition. I noticed a 10th edition going for $350+ at Amazon so they still have value.
The Speer Manual is a good one to start with.
Charlie

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.