Hb1776

So I am a header press operator at a brass casing manufacturer and I'm wanting to get in to reloading my basic job is to create the primer pocket and head stamp I also have a little control over the length and the web of the part but the casing capacity/actual web is unknown to me because it's all calculated by the bosses and controled with my punch dimensions so what makes or breaks a good brass casing when it comes to reloading what should some one be looking for in different applications for precision loading and precision long range shooting.

Web thickness/ hardness determines how much and how long a case can withstand max pressure.
Thin webs, such as Norma, do not handle max pressure for 3 firings before primer pockets fail.
Thick webs, such as old Winchester brass, can withstand many more firings at max pressure.
So, to answer your query, you want STABLE brass for LR, ADG comes to mind, and if you can get it, a ,473" case head lasts a long time if it has SRP case heads.
Small rifle primer pocket take more pressure before deforming, which is a good thing.

Cheers.

Maybe just back off the coal just a bit? Brass is hard to come by now and expensive. Takes 70K to grow brass. Correction. To open primer pockets and ruin it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.