Reloader 33 vs Vihtavouri N57

Dragoon300

I have been using RL33 in my 338 Lapua for quite a while with good success. Now I have a new 338 barrel and a 6.5 PRC barrel. I had planned on using my RL33 recipe for the new 338, and look for a recipe for my 6.5 PRC. So I did my normal Quickload work up where I look for the maximum fill and velocity and compare powders that way. After finding N570 as a prime candidate on Quickload, but nowhere else, I called Berger and asked them about using it with their 156 gr EOL'S. Long story short I did and it works well, very well. I managed to find 2 lbs of N570 just before everything dried up. Then I found that N570 works well in my 338 too, go figure. Like everyone else, I can't find any at a reasonable price. This made me think about using RL33 in my 6.5 PRC, it looks as good in Quickload as N570, and fortunately I had stocked up on RL33 before the shortages. I would like to hear opinions on RL33 versus N570 if possible in the 338 Lapua and 6.5 PRC, but pro's and con's of both powders are what I am interested in.

I hate to clean my rifles, both are very dirty powders. Rl33 and n570 will foul out a barrel within 50 rounds. I use it in my 28nosler and 300 prc, accuracy is lost and my groups start opening up. I found that in my 6.5 prc that vvn565 is a better choice, also can't wait to get my hands on n568 when it hits.

I hate to clean my rifles, both are very dirty powders. Rl33 and n570 will foul out a barrel within 50 rounds. I use it in my 28nosler and 300 prc, accuracy is lost and my groups start opening up. I found that in my 6.5 prc that vvn565 is a better choice, also can't wait to get my hands on n568 when it hits.
I shot N570 exclusively in 7 saums for 5 yrs, dirty was never a word I used, I could get 300 rds from every barrel over 27" between cleanings. No N500 series powder has been dirty if a complete burn is the objective in my findings.

OP, I am not speaking from experience on the 6.5 PRC, but I cannot help thinking the case capacity is not there for RL33.
N570 works in applications one would not think it would because of characteristics of the powder itself. Not all N500 series powders were created equal.

Does a longer barrel shoot cleaner than a shorter one with slower burning powder?
Not quite that easy. Picking a powder where you will get a clean burn helps immensely. Certain European made powders wont foul your barrel as much as Hodgdon powders will if your burn is not the best.
Clean burn could be lots of things, including the charge.

Quickload is a great source of info if you want to pay for it.

Does a longer barrel shoot cleaner than a shorter one with slower burning powder?
Let's erase the clean aspect of this, not your original concern.
The information super highway is great, not saying not to utilize it at all. But you have both powders, you have the means to test for yourself. Why not do it, and not rely on guys like me, BECAUSE, we are all going to have differing opinions.

OP, I am not speaking from experience on the 6.5 PRC, but I cannot help thinking the case capacity is not there for RL33.
N570 works in applications one would not think it would because of characteristics of the powder itself. Not all N500 series powders were created equal.
I did check with Berger on RL33 and 156 EOL'S, they loaded up to a max of 67.1 grains. I did check to see, and it does fit in my ADG Gunwerks brass. As another suggested, I will have to try it out for myself, but I am still interested in others experiences and opinions. And thanks for all your thoughts.

Let's erase the clean aspect of this, not your original concern.
The information super highway is great, not saying not to utilize it at all. But you have both powders, you have the means to test for yourself. Why not do it, and not rely on guys like me, BECAUSE, we are all going to have differing opinions.
I thank you for your comments, and do value your opinion. I am glad we do not all have the same ones, as in the multitude of witnesses there is wise counsel. And I will take your advice and get some loaded as soon as possible. Thanks much!

I thank you for your comments, and do value your opinion. I am glad we do not all have the same ones, as in the multitude of witnesses there is wise counsel. And I will take your advice and get some loaded as soon as possible. Thanks much!
All good, I know from experience I learn more when relying on myself, plus it paves the road for future, plus it is right there, right now.
If you didn't take my advice, I am still going eat a whole rack of baby backs for dinner, and sleep well, haha

In the 338 lapua Ai's I've done load development with i did not see any velocity advantage w/ N570 vs. reloader 33. With how hard the 570 is to find i've stopped testing rifles with it entirely. One thing i've found between both powders is they burn very DIRTY. I scrub the barrels every 25-50 rounds depending on bore condition.

In the 338 lapua Ai's I've done load development with i did not see any velocity advantage w/ N570 vs. reloader 33. With how hard the 570 is to find i've stopped testing rifles with it entirely. One thing i've found between both powders is they burn very DIRTY. I scrub the barrels every 25-50 rounds depending on bore condition.
They are very close to each other from what I see, 33 seems to be a little bit slower perhaps. Have you noted differences between the two in extreme spread or temperature stability?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.