Reloader 26 and N570

I assume you mean the 300 win mag?
Case capacities on the win mag allow more powder with 26 over 570. N 570 is very bulky. Each granule is .1 grains.
Also 26 gave higher velocity with lower es. It is a better performer in this case. Also there is the temp issue for me.
I use RL26 in my 300 Win Mag, for 210 and 230 grain bullets, and may try it with the new 245 grain Bergers too.
Two things I've heard, but not tested for :
1. RL26 isn't stable in temperatures in the 80's.
2. N570 f**** up your barrel life.
Does anyone know if either is true?

I use RL26 in my 300 Win Mag, for 210 and 230 grain bullets, and may try it with the new 245 grain Bergers too.
Two things I've heard, but not tested for :
1. RL26 isn't stable in temperatures in the 80's.
2. N570 f**** up your barrel life.
Does anyone know if either is true?
How does n570 ruin barrel life? I use it in my 28 Nosler and 300rum

I'm not saying it actually does, it's just that the guy who rebarrelled my 300 Win Mag, said it would burn out the barrel quickly. I was surprised to hear this, so thought I'd put it out there to see what experience others have had with it.
As an aside, I use N560 in my 270, and it's astounding! I don't even bother trying other powders with the 130 grain bullets.

Any body know when this powder is going to be available again. Seems everybody is on back order. Or does anybody know anybody that may be getting an order in for sale. Ive read good things on these powders.

Also. Between Rl 26 and the N570 can any body give me their thoughts on which powder they prefer. Both for accuracy, ES spread and speed. experience with loads in the 30 cal range in the 300 win or 30 Nosler case capacity pushing 180 to 215 bullets.
I've shot the H1000 and like it along with some other powders but have read a lot of good things on these 2 powders. I'm down to my last pound of H1000 and was curious on these two powders. Thanks and forgive if this has been talked about.
mid south has rl 26 now

Email from Viht:
Bore and throat erosion is really dependent on powder composition. The important parameter is flame temperature, which is unfortunately immeasurable quantity. Based on thermodynamic calculation, and long experience it is well known fact that higher energy content (i.e. heat of explosion) leads to higher flame temperature and higher throat erosion.

Easiest method to improve ballistic performance is to add nitroglycerol in powder composition. These powders are called double base powders. As you have heard, these powders tend to cause more barrel and throat erosion compared to single base powders. This difference is clear but it is, however impossible to quantify as for example as numbers of rounds to reach same erosion level.

All Vihtavuori N100 (N105...), N300 (N310...) powders, 3N37 and 3N38 are single base powders. These products are made with best available raw materials and manufacturing methods to get maximal performance you can get without using more erosive double base composition. Therefore, these Vihtavuori products cause less erosion than most of other competing powders. Especially high nitroglycerol contents (and thus erosion) are used in spherical powders (ball powders) and some US products.

Among Vihtavuori product line we have only five types we call N500 (N530 ... N570) which are by composition double base powders. N500 rifle powders contain small amount of nitroglycerol to add a bit more performance required mainly for extremely long distances. Even with these products we have added a special additive as well kept nitroglycerol content rather low in order to minimize the barrel erosion effect.

So, my opinion and advice is to keep barrel and throat erosion on minimum by using only single base powders like Vihtavuori N100, N300 and 3N.

Best Regards,

Mikko Vuoristo
EURENCO Vihtavuori Oy

Email from Viht:
Bore and throat erosion is really dependent on powder composition. The important parameter is flame temperature, which is unfortunately immeasurable quantity. Based on thermodynamic calculation, and long experience it is well known fact that higher energy content (i.e. heat of explosion) leads to higher flame temperature and higher throat erosion.

Easiest method to improve ballistic performance is to add nitroglycerol in powder composition. These powders are called double base powders. As you have heard, these powders tend to cause more barrel and throat erosion compared to single base powders. This difference is clear but it is, however impossible to quantify as for example as numbers of rounds to reach same erosion level.

All Vihtavuori N100 (N105...), N300 (N310...) powders, 3N37 and 3N38 are single base powders. These products are made with best available raw materials and manufacturing methods to get maximal performance you can get without using more erosive double base composition. Therefore, these Vihtavuori products cause less erosion than most of other competing powders. Especially high nitroglycerol contents (and thus erosion) are used in spherical powders (ball powders) and some US products.

Among Vihtavuori product line we have only five types we call N500 (N530 ... N570) which are by composition double base powders. N500 rifle powders contain small amount of nitroglycerol to add a bit more performance required mainly for extremely long distances. Even with these products we have added a special additive as well kept nitroglycerol content rather low in order to minimize the barrel erosion effect.

So, my opinion and advice is to keep barrel and throat erosion on minimum by using only single base powders like Vihtavuori N100, N300 and 3N.

Best Regards,

Mikko Vuoristo
EURENCO Vihtavuori Oy
A superb reply. I'm in the UK, so Vihtavuori is easy to get hold of. The same guy, who was wary of N570, said he'd had great success with N165 and N170.
Many thanks. 👍

I can tell you that it does burn hotter than H1000. Shot 2 shots through my 30-28 with H1000 from a completely cool barrel and grad ahold of the barrel and then do the same with N570. The 570 shots will have a hotter barrel everything being equal.
Does that mean I wont use N570, no.
Theres slot of variables to throat erosion.

I can tell you that it does burn hotter than H1000. Shot 2 shots through my 30-28 with H1000 from a completely cool barrel and grad ahold of the barrel and then do the same with N570. The 570 shots will have a hotter barrel everything being equal.
Does that mean I wont use N570, no.
Theres slot of variables to throat erosion.
Fair comment. I believe Vihtavuori N series powders have special additives to protect the barrel. Can't remember if I've remembered that correctly, but if so, it's swings and roundabouts.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.