Reloader 25 in the 6.5 Creedmoor

iowaelkbum

Hi guys. I am looking for some load data for the 6.5 creedmoor using R25, 129 hoarndy interbonds, norma brass. The rifle is a savage 12fv 26" barrel. If anyone could run that through quickload or offer guidance it would be appreciated. Thanks

rl25 is a bit slow for the creed... You likely won't even get to full pressure with a compressed load. That said, they are already running 46 grains rl22 on a 140 in the 260 with a 140, and the 260 has a bit more capacity than the creed...I'd start in the low 40's for rl25 and a 129 and work up 'till you run out of capacity...

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...2&weight=140&shellid=61&bulletid=116&bdid=385

I dont believe you'll pressure out. Rl-25 is not quite like rl-26. Rl-26 I believe is not quite as bulky as rl-25 so you can get more in the case if I'm not mistaken but dont quote me on that. I just chronoed my old rl-26 load the other day and got 2988 fps from a 140 eld. I'd look for some rl-26

Thanks guys. I have a huge pile of R25 for my 7STW and wanted to use it if possible. Will get some R26 and H4350 and start with listed book loads.

There'd be no harm in trying it. It'd be all but impossible to overload it, as has been said it's too slow burning for this case capacity and case to bore ratio, but probably not by as much as you'd think. It works well with heavy Bullets in my 270 win even though nobody seems to think it's appropriate for that either. If you have it might as well give it a go before buying more powders.

Because of its slow burn rate, I think you'll find that your RL-25 will give you large ES numbers. Not an issue if you're not shooting past 500 yards but will become problematic at longer distances. If you want accuracy at any distance (and temperature), nothing will beat H4350. My personal load develops 2803fps m/v and 6fps ES. It shoots .25MOA out of a GA Precission custom rifle with a 26" Bartlein barrel. My load is as follows:
Lapua Brass
CCI450 Primers
42.0gn H4350
Berger 140gn Hybrid Target
.002 neck tension
CBTO 2.234 (-.010 off the lands)

I recommend starting at 40.0gn and working up in .2 or .3gn increments, until you find your rifle's accuracy node.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.