Reloader 23 &26--Anyone seen these new powders??

dougduey

I was checking Alliant's website for some load data and noticed they had some new info for specific bullets I was using. When I "clicked" on them, I got recipes for RL 23 and RL 26. I assumed this was some website error since I never heard of these powders and there was no mention of them on the website. I contacted Alliant and was informed that they just rolled out these new powders mid-December. They also sent me all sorts of load data for these new powders. When I inquired as to where I could find their new powders, their rep said they only deal with the distributors and once they leave the factory, they have no say where they end up.
So, has anyone seen these powders on the market???

yep, seen them... I've got a # of 26 on the basement waiting on me actually having time to do l d on a couple of the rifles.... if it's anything like most of the other rl powders, it will be great and the freezer will be full...

Just picked up 8 cans of RL26, gonna burn some in the 7mm Long Range Hunter with the 208 gr Alco RBT-ST bullets and the 300 Long Range Hunter with 230 gr Alco RBT-ST bullets
RL 25 was always very accurate and gave top velocities in several of my 300 Rums and 338 Edge, worked great as long as the loads were used in same temps they were developed , apparently the
RL 26 is supposed to be similar in burning rate and temp stable , will also be using the new IMR 7977 which has similar claims

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 24
dougduey,

Out of curiousity, what specific bullets did you see the Re-23 and Re-26 powder load data? More choices to spend $$ and experiment now it seems.. Bad for the wallet...

Go to the Alliant website (alliantpowder.com) and click on the Reloaders Guide tab. Once you get to the appropriate caliber, you'll see all the choices you have. They now have data for Barnes 140 TSX, Hornady 154 SST and 162 A Max, Nosler 140 Ballistic Tip and 160 Partition, plus all the older data for Speer bullets

just worked up the 140 nos bt in my 7stw today with rl26 using rp brass and a 215. I've got a 10" twist 24" bbl....
At 80 grains I was at 3286 fps.... at 82 grains I was at 3395 fps... at 84 grains I was at 3485 fps... I got a bit of a shiner at 84 grains but no brass flow... best accuracy was at 80 and 84 grains but no load was bad
I suspect a good working load to be found in the 81 to 83 grain range...
In contrast, 82 rl25 with the same bullet, primer, case yields 3200 fps with similar accuracy...

I got 6 lbs of Reloader 26 to try in my 300 WSM because it was available and supposedly had cured the temperature sensitivity issue. I went out last week to test 5 powders and was encouraged. Reloader 17 was the best for accuracy and velocity (by a large margin). I don't even know why I tried it because I don't trust it due to the temperature issue. IMR 7977 and H4831SC didn't pass muster either. H4350 and Reloader 26 were almost identical in accuracy and velocity. I loaded up another batch of the H4350 and Reloader 26 to shoot 10 shop groups for consistency. Went up to shoot this morning. Once again accuracy of both was almost identical. Different day however and the velocity for the 10 rounds of Reloader 26 today was only 2735 versus 2804 last week. Ouch!! Very consistent as SD was 7.9. H4350 on the other hand had a velocity of 2796 today and 2782 last week. SD 13.6. I am going with the H4350 as I don't trust Reloader 26 now either. Identical loads shouldn't have differed by so much. I didn't make note of exact environmental conditions but the temperature difference was no more than 10 degrees. Humidity slightly higher today. I now have 5 lbs of Reloader 26 to unload.

I got 6 lbs of Reloader 26 to try in my 300 WSM because it was available and supposedly had cured the temperature sensitivity issue. I went out last week to test 5 powders and was encouraged. Reloader 17 was the best for accuracy and velocity (by a large margin). I don't even know why I tried it because I don't trust it due to the temperature issue. IMR 7977 and H4831SC didn't pass muster either. H4350 and Reloader 26 were almost identical in accuracy and velocity. I loaded up another batch of the H4350 and Reloader 26 to shoot 10 shop groups for consistency. Went up to shoot this morning. Once again accuracy of both was almost identical. Different day however and the velocity for the 10 rounds of Reloader 26 today was only 2735 versus 2804 last week. Ouch!! Very consistent as SD was 7.9. H4350 on the other hand had a velocity of 2796 today and 2782 last week. SD 13.6. I am going with the H4350 as I don't trust Reloader 26 now either. Identical loads shouldn't have differed by so much. I didn't make note of exact environmental conditions but the temperature difference was no more than 10 degrees. Humidity slightly higher today. I now have 5 lbs of Reloader 26 to unload.

how much was the difference in the h4350???
even Hodgdon's temp. stable powders have issues at times... I load h4895 in my 25wssm but it is NOT temp. stable there. It will vary 100 fps between summer and winter over the Oehler....

I am loading rl33 (the same tech. as rl26) in my 300rum with 225's and noticing no measurable difference with temp. changes.... 20-30 fps between summer and winter... chrono placement can mean more than that...

you never said the primer you are using.... primers can and do make a difference and can react differently between powders.

what primer are you using?

not enough primer for slower rl powders...
go with a 215 or wlrm

I had the same issue with my 338 using rl19 pushing a 250 sierra lit by a 210....
I switched to the hotter primers (215 for me) and the problem goes away...

I stopped using standard primers for slower powders long ago... I also limit my charge lit by a standard primer to 40 grains or so. I've got a few old loads that don't quite fit this criteria, but they are very close...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.