Reloader 22 substitutes

rk317

I shoot a 300rum. I load my own. I use the Berger 210g loaded with Alliant reloader 22. I've found that in the past six weeks I can't find any reloader 22. Does anybody have any suggestions for a substitute powder. I hate changing things up when it works, but I'm out of powder.
Thanks for your input.

I shoot a 300rum. I load my own. I use the Berger 210g loaded with Alliant reloader 22. I've found that in the past six weeks I can't find any reloader 22. Does anybody have any suggestions for a substitute powder. I hate changing things up when it works, but I'm out of powder.
Thanks for your input.

The closest thing to RL22 is Norma MRP but you'll probably have a tougher time finding it than RL22! Powder valley had some last time I checked but it's probably gone. Worth a call though.

The next closest thing (although it's not real close) is IMR7828ssc or N165.

Good luck.

First off, none of them are an equal 1 to 1 swap. That includes any existing RL22 you might find.

There are lot to lot variations that make redoing the load development essential, particularily with the line of RL powders. They have a history of wide lot to lot variations and even recalls with the RL 22 line.

Black Hills and graf also stock MRP. It is a very good powder that has not shown the temp sensitivity of the RL22.

Lot of people in the RUM are using H1000 and Retumbo, might want to look there.

No matter what you us, when you find a good lot and accurate load, buy a bunch.

BH

You made a statement about temp with reloader 22. The other day I was shooting with my buddy, and it was about 20 degrees. He had about a 1/2 second delay from when the primer went off to when the bullet fired. We figured it was a bad primer. Was using CCI primers. Usually we use federal 215. So you think the hesitation could have come from the powder in the cooler weather.
I'm new to this, and still learning. Open for any input. Just loading with reloader 22 because I was told it was the best for shooting the 300rum.

I doubt the half second delay was due to the powder sensitivity. My bet is something else.

What I am referring to is the increase/decrease in MV due to widespread temp changes and the variations in MV due to lot to lot differences.

BH

The half second delay could be from several things. One possibility is tumbling media stuck in the flash hole that was overlooked. Don't know if that is a possibility in your friend's case or not.

BH is correct in that none of them are an equal swap 1 to 1, but it wasn't implied anywhere. Even the most consistent powders need to be rechecked when you change lots.

Reloder 22 did have a couple of bad batches several years ago with a recall. I received 4 pounds. However, I've been loading this powder for a number of years and have never personally witnessed any substantial or even minimal changes shooting various rifles from almost sea level to over 6000 feet, in addition to temp changes of about 80 degrees.

That said, it is my opinion that it's usually best to do load development when it is a little warmer outside.

You made a statement about temp with reloader 22. The other day I was shooting with my buddy, and it was about 20 degrees. He had about a 1/2 second delay from when the primer went off to when the bullet fired. We figured it was a bad primer. Was using CCI primers. Usually we use federal 215. So you think the hesitation could have come from the powder in the cooler weather.
I'm new to this, and still learning. Open for any input. Just loading with reloader 22 because I was told it was the best for shooting the 300rum.

I have had similar problems with CCI primers. This is why I use federal. I do much development and testing in sub 0 temps. Had many problems with CCI, never federal. I gurantee it was NOT the powder. I shoot RL powders from RL-12-25 in sub zero temps without any hick-ups.

I experienced similar thing with RE-22 and CCI BR2 primers, fired in 20 deg F weather. This is due to the inhyerent temp sensitivity of the powder. in other words, when you trigger you actually hear the firing pin 'click' the primer (actually only very faint) then ignition. This does not happen in warmer temperatures, ie above 25 to 32 in my experience- in warmer temps yo woant catch the 'click' sounds . Note I have never had a CCI primer fail to ignite the powder . Try chronying in colder temps you will see a lower velocity generally, but its not a big deal, I've had a good deal of luck in accuracy with this powder. Try also IMR 4831 or H-4831 or 'sc'.
ps. if this bothers you firing in colder weather switch primers to Federal, if you can find em. Have fun

I had a bad batch of rl22 several years ago and they sent me a new pound of powder. I was checking my shelves of powder and found that I have one more new lot of the same bad batch. One thing though, the rep never admitted to having a bad batch or recall. I shoot 90 grains of rl 22 in my 300rum and it does very well. I do have some retumbo to try however.

Retumbo workd very well for the .300 RUM I use it in both my Brother-in-Law's and my Friend's .300 RUMs.

It really shines with bullets in the 190g catagory and hits really hard. My Friend shot a 4x4 Muley at 600yds with it, Flipping the buck clean off of his feet this last fall. He was dead before he hit the ground.

RL-25 also shows good numbers as does US869 and H870.

Dan

Can anyone speak to why there is a shortage of Rel 22 at the moment? I have been looking since 6 november and unable to find any locally???

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.