Reloader 22 powder for 300 win mag

The key to using RL-22 or any similar temp sensitive powder is to develop the load at the same temp you are going to use it in. If you do that, no worries. If you don't do that, your really accurate load that you carefully tuned to shoot bug holes will shift off the node, drop or raise velocity to some value way off what you are expecting and you will be wondering what the heck happened to your rifle. It doesn't take a lot of temp shift. I found with RL-25 a 20 degree drop in temp gave me the same velocity as if I took 3 grains of powder out of the case! Not good to say the least. Right now I am looking forward to getting my hands on some RL-23. It should be top notch.

+1 What Engineering101 said.

I shoot 300Wby so not all my data will help.

However, I gave one of my tactical buddies powders to try. Our range is coastal so we don't have much temperature shift. He settled on RL-22 for his 300WM. I settled on 7828 and use it for almost all my belted magnums.

I now have all 5 of the new powders 3 from IMR and 2 from Alliant. Gotta stuff shells followed by emptying them.gun)

The key to using RL-22 or any similar temp sensitive powder is to develop the load at the same temp you are going to use it in. If you do that, no worries. If you don't do that, your really accurate load that you carefully tuned to shoot bug holes will shift off the node, drop or raise velocity to some value way off what you are expecting and you will be wondering what the heck happened to your rifle. It doesn't take a lot of temp shift. I found with RL-25 a 20 degree drop in temp gave me the same velocity as if I took 3 grains of powder out of the case! Not good to say the least. Right now I am looking forward to getting my hands on some RL-23. It should be top notch.

I saw Natchez had 1 pounders of RL23 in stock the other day. I'm also waiting to see how it works out.

I don't bother to load for only one temperature, even with a rather temp. sensitive powder. If my load doesn't shoot in all weather conditions; it is out.

That said, all I shoot in my 300win is rl22 and 165 grain hornady bullets. It'll hold sub moa in all weather in my rifle. The biggest thing I've seen with the rl series is don't go to the wall with it; stay a grain or so down from the top and let her buck. You'll still likely still be faster than the single base offerings.

Lefty7mmstw

You must have one hell of a big sweet spot in that rifle if you can get away with using RL-22 and ignore the temp. Wish I had a rifle like that. Just out of curiosity what is the make and model?

Not trying to change the subject but are yall able to find 300wm brass anywhere? The temp will be a little warmer when I get home so I'll try the RL22 load that it liked a couple weeks ago. I've got all the info to compare it to. I've also got some Berger 215 hybrids ordered. I'll try that on top of some H1000 and FED215M primers. Should be pretty good.

Man I almost ordered some RL23 from Natchez. I was willing to pay the $28.50 hazmat fee. But when they were gonna charge me $20 to ship 2# of powder, I just closed the website out. That was gonna be $89 for 2# of powder. Maybe I can find it on the shelf somewhere. Would love to try it out.

601handryan

I had the same thought about ordering some RL-23 (for about 2 seconds) but soon remembered if you are going mail order you need to go with the 8 lb jug to amortize the haz mat fee. I am confident that this powder will be great so I am going for the 8lb jug when it pops up somewhere unless I find it locally first. So far no luck. There is a bunch of RL-17 on the shelf but that is it.

So back on this RL22 temperature issue. When we say temperature effects its velocity, do the groups stay the same with different POI due to velocity change? Or does the size of groups change as well? If its just a POI shift then I can live with that. But if it totally screws it up, I'll have to do something else.
Ryan

Lefty7mmstw

You must have one hell of a big sweet spot in that rifle if you can get away with using RL-22 and ignore the temp. Wish I had a rifle like that. Just out of curiosity what is the make and model?

browning abolt lh ss stalker boss shooting 165 hdy sp fb with 78 rl22 in ww brass with a 215 lighting the fire. .020" jump

on decent(wind) days I expect sub 1" groups & 200 yards with this rifle.

my last 7mmstw was the same way with rl25 and 140ab's; my Pops current 7stw is that way with rl22 and 140 sierra pro hunter bullets.
I am also having good all-temp. luck with rl33 and rl50 in my 7mm and 300 rums with heavies...

I've currently got an issue with my 25wssm; the groups went to pot shooting it in cold temps the other day... Superformance isn't holding on well as the temp drops... The powder was very component critical for decent accuracy; I should have seen this coming.
The biggest thing I look for is avoiding loads that the seating depth and charge weight are super critical for accuracy. Of course they will change a bit, but if she goes from stellar to crap with a small adjustment, your load is no good and any outside interference (temp., baro. pressure, etc.... even lot to lot powder variances) will throw your load in the toilet. If the rifle walks the charge weight up and the accuracy varies from just under 1 moa to .5 moa or less, she's likely a good load. If you go from 2 moa + down to .5 moa; toss the load and start over with another bullet and/or powder.

So back on this RL22 temperature issue. When we say temperature effects its velocity, do the groups stay the same with different POI due to velocity change? Or does the size of groups change as well? If its just a POI shift then I can live with that. But if it totally screws it up, I'll have to do something else.
Ryan

if you work up a "good" load like I've found in my 300win, your mid range groups and accuracy will stay roughly the same; the long range el. will drop off a bit with the slight velocity fall off though. My 300win drops from 3260 to right at 3200 fps from hot to cold weather.

As to rl23/rl26, I've seen them and have some rl26... I do NOT plan on using rl23 in anything unless rl22 is discontinued. I've got a couple of kegs of rl22 loaded and another keg+ on the shelf. I may just eventually replace all of my slower rl powders with rl26 and 33, but that is years away.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts