Reloader 22 - Is it the same as Norma MRP ?

DMP25-06

I have used Norma MRP powder in reloading Weatherby magnum cartridges for many years with very good results , but I am having difficulty finding MRP at any of the local gun shops and reloader supply stores here in the Fort Worth , Texas area .
However , Alliant Reloader 22 powder has been available at one supplier on several occasions .
I have read in some previous posts here on LRH.com , that Alliant Reloader 22 powder is the same powder as Norma MRP , both being produced by the same company . Do any of you know if this is true , or , are these 2 powders manufactured by different companies , and they are just very similar in burn rates , shape , size , and density ?

I thank you all for any information that you can provide .
DMP25-06

Both MRP and Reloader 22 are made by Eurenco/Bofors in Sweden. Looking through the various reloading manuals burn rate charts these two powders tend to be listed side by side but some books list Reloader 22 with a faster burn rate and other books have MRP listed as the faster powder. The Swift manual lists both powders for use with the 130gr Scirocco in the 6.5-284 Norma cartridge with MRP max load 1/2 grain more than Rel 22 and a few fps faster.
Are they the same powder? IMO no and I have read posts that also say they aren't.
I use Rel 22 in a couple of 25-06 rifles and if I could get MRP I would be happy to use it, however I would start at Norma's minimum load and work up.

morning, I use MRP-4831-RL-22 in the Magnum calibers.
I look at the burn chart as a reference. now persons do
not use the burn chart. I use 4831sc in any calibers that
I shoot heavier bullets. all 3 of the powders r very good.
now days all powders r pricey.
justme gbot tum

One of my wildcats used 100 grains of MRP and averaged 3,000 per second with Sierra 300. When I could no longer get it I tired the RL22. It maxed at 98.0 grains and averaged 2,990 fps.

Guns & Ammo Dec. 2013 said MRP and RL22 were the same.
They also listed other Norma powders as the same as RL powders.
HS-6 = Win 540
HS-7 = Win 571
H110 = Win 296 & Alliant MP300
H414 = Win 760
RL22 = Norma MRP
RL19 = Norma 204
RL15 = Norma 203
RL25 = MRP2

Last edited:
The only differences I see are normal lot to lot differences. MRP seems to be much more consistent from lot to lot than RL22. Have seen some pretty big swings when switching lots on RL22. If you can get MRP it will serve you much better overall.

The only differences I see are normal lot to lot differences. MRP seems to be much more consistent from lot to lot than RL22. Have seen some pretty big swings when switching lots on RL22. If you can get MRP it will serve you much better overall.

This is correct. They are both so similar that the difference would fall into lot to lot difference category. I have read that MRP is first run powder and RL22 is second run in production which is a common explanation for why MRP is more consistent lot to lot.

I picked up an 8lb bottle of MRP on clearance at Sportsman's and it has served me quite well as the powder of choice for my RPR 243 with 105 HVLDs or Hybrids and the 338 RUM with 225 TTSX.

I've used both MRP and RL-22 at different times in the same calibers, and while I find they are close in burn rate I find they are not the same .I've seen up to a 3 gr difference in the same cartridge. In my 7mm wea mag I also found that MRP was more temp stable than RL-22.

The burn rate chart in the Norma reloading manual was produced for them by Eurenco/Bofors. They gave us a reference point using 43.2 grains of IMR 4350 in a 308 Win cartridge with a 143 grain FMJ projectile. They gave this load a Relative Velocity (RL) and Relative Pressure (RP) of 100.0. All the faster powders have higher RV and RP numbers and slower powders have lower numbers. Reloader 22 has figures of RV 90.2 & RP 81.1. MRP has figures of RV 89.9 & RP 80.1. Considering Eurenco/Bofors make both powders I would suggest that if they are exactly the same the RV & RP figures would also be exactly the same. Reloader 15 and Norma 203B are only 0,1 different on their RVs and RPs. Norma 204 has figures of RV 100.9 & 98.9 RP where Reloader 19 has figures of RV 94.8 & RP 90.7. It appears that Guns and Ammo may have made a mistake.

I thank all of you for the informative and helpful input .
Looks like I will have to order MRP online , and pay the hazmat fee , while MRP is available .
Thank You ,
DMP25-06

morning, RL-22, 4831 and MRP r very close on the burn
chart. I use 4832 all and MRP in my 300WM. both shoot
very well. justme gbot tum

I have used very little rl22 but consider MRP one of my go to powders. Always a solid predictable performer.

Steve

I have used Norma MRP powder in reloading Weatherby magnum cartridges for many years with very good results , but I am having difficulty finding MRP at any of the local gun shops and reloader supply stores here in the Fort Worth , Texas area .
However , Alliant Reloader 22 powder has been available at one supplier on several occasions .
I have read in some previous posts here on LRH.com , that Alliant Reloader 22 powder is the same powder as Norma MRP , both being produced by the same company . Do any of you know if this is true , or , are these 2 powders manufactured by different companies , and they are just very similar in burn rates , shape , size , and density ?

I thank you all for any information that you can provide .
DMP25-06

I would caution anyone from assuming that just because a powder falls in the same burn rate, that it would any where near the same. and even though people would tell you IT IS THE SAME. I would not believe it without starting well below the max powder charge.

Reduce the powder charge and work up until you prove that It is close. Different batches of the same brand and type of powder are often exactly the same, so if it falls in the same category you should work up your loads with the new powder.

The burn rate charts are for reference only and powder should not be substituted without work ups.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts