Reloader 22 in .270 help. RL17?

jsimonh

Hi Guys, Long time lurker first time poster.

I have a Remington 700 Sendero in .270 (26in barrel with a few bells and whistles) set up for long range shooting/hunting. I recently began reloading for myself and have tried a couple of different powders with decent luck. I started by using H414 and Nosler 130 BT, but have since moved on to RL22 with Berger 150 VLD's. I love the Berger's but I'm unsure of the RL22. My manuals list 3010fps as the fastest load at 58.5gr of RL22, but when I chronoed 20 shells I came up with an average of 3030 using only 57.5gr. Which brings me to my questions.

Is there anyway that this is correct? Do any of you guys have load data for the .270 (150's) with RL22?

Also, I've been trying to find info on RL17 vs RL22 and haven't had much luck. Alot of what I have found compared RL17 to 4350, which wouldn't really make a switch worth it.

I have used R22 in only one cartridge (300Winmag) with miserable results, but that doesn't mean anything. From what the Nosler manual states, R22 gave the best accuracy at the lower pressure of the loads they list. From my own experience with the 270Win I have found H1000 powder gives excellent accuracy and higher velocities using 140 grain bullets and am sure it would work with 150 grain bullets also. The probable reason you are seeing higher velicity than those listed in your data manual is due to the 26" barrel your Sendero sports compared to most 270's of 22"or 24", but I don't know this as fact. Usually the manual will state the barrel length of their test barrel. Every rifle/barrel is a law unto itself when determining max loads and velocity as the data manuals are a very good guide. I have loaded for rifles that were at the top-end of safe pressure at near starting loads and others that were loaded slightly above the listed max loads, though I never assume anything just because it is listed on paper.

I use R22 in my 300 mag 78.8 grains with a Nosler 165 Btip and 78.6 with a 168 Nosler Custom Comp bullets both are Super accurate in a Bergara HMR B14. I have a 8.5-25x50 Leupold with a CDS turret, both bullets shoot same point of impact out to 707 yards. They Chrono at 3350fps. A buddy shoots R22 in a 6.5x55 with excellent results, his 26 inch Spencer barrel in a Rem 700 action chronos close to 2900fps with 140's. When talking pressure every gun will show a variance even if both are identical and shooting the same ammo. A rifle is a piece of machinery even consecutive serial number firearms will be different speed and accuracy. posted date 10/4/2022

Hi Guys, Long time lurker first time poster.

I have a Remington 700 Sendero in .270 (26in barrel with a few bells and whistles) set up for long range shooting/hunting. I recently began reloading for myself and have tried a couple of different powders with decent luck. I started by using H414 and Nosler 130 BT, but have since moved on to RL22 with Berger 150 VLD's. I love the Berger's but I'm unsure of the RL22. My manuals list 3010fps as the fastest load at 58.5gr of RL22, but when I chronoed 20 shells I came up with an average of 3030 using only 57.5gr. Which brings me to my questions.

Is there anyway that this is correct? Do any of you guys have load data for the .270 (150's) with RL22?

Also, I've been trying to find info on RL17 vs RL22 and haven't had much luck. Alot of what I have found compared RL17 to 4350, which wouldn't really make a switch worth it.
Rl22 is the velocity king in the 270 in my experience. BUT it is temp sensitive so just watch that. Do load work ups in the hottest weather you intend to use it in and you'll be golden. Wouldn't worry about your velocity numbers at all.