Reloader 22 berger 215 hybrid load data

North Idaho Hunter

Hello fellas,
I was fortunate enough to find 200 berger 215 hybrids locally, and now need to get some data for reloader 22.

From my extensive research it shows most use H1000, however, with nearly 7 lbs. of reloader 22, i need to use that up.

Anyone running 215's and reloader 22?

Factory browning A-bolt.
26 inch barrel. DE muzzle brake.
Really hoping for 2750 FPS with these. I know i will have to single feed because my COAL for the magazine is very limiting.

Thanks for any help!

Sorry but I have no data for R22. I assume this is for a 300 WM? If so 2750 fps is very doable. My 300 WM with a 26" Brux runs the 215 at 3000 fps. Like most people, I am using H1000. Start them around 30-40 thou off and see how it shoots.

Sorry, yes this is for the 300 win mag.

thank you for the reply, I figured i would just use load data from 220 grain out of my book and try that at the range today.

starting at 67 grains and working up to 69.

we shall see how it turns out.

Sorry, yes this is for the 300 win mag.

thank you for the reply, I figured i would just use load data from 220 grain out of my book and try that at the range today.

starting at 67 grains and working up to 69.

we shall see how it turns out.
North Idaho Hunter,
We show a starting load of 66.0 grains and a maximum of 69.6 grains. Approximate velocities are 2653 to 2790 fps. Fill ratio is approximately 95%.

Phil,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Went to the range today, loaded 5 batches of 3 rounds. in .5 grain increments. I seated the bullets .010 from lands giving me a C.O.A.L of 3.702

Accuracy at 100 was pretty poor. worst group was 2 inches, the best was a hair over an inch. Do you have any ideas on what i can do from here? From what i read you didnt have to worry about seating depth too much with the 215 hybrid.

I liked the 68.5 & 69 grain loads, they yielded less then 20 FPS extreme spread and groups just over an inch.

The only thing i can think of to tighten the group is to seat the bullets a bit further and shoot again.

Accuracy is not a problem with this rifle, it shoots 180 accubonds and ballistic tips 1/2 MOA out to 500.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Phil,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Went to the range today, loaded 5 batches of 3 rounds. in .5 grain increments. I seated the bullets .010 from lands giving me a C.O.A.L of 3.702

Accuracy at 100 was pretty poor. worst group was 2 inches, the best was a hair over an inch. Do you have any ideas on what i can do from here? From what i read you didnt have to worry about seating depth too much with the 215 hybrid.

I liked the 68.5 & 69 grain loads, they yielded less then 20 FPS extreme spread and groups just over an inch.

The only thing i can think of to tighten the group is to seat the bullets a bit further and shoot again.

Accuracy is not a problem with this rifle, it shoots 180 accubonds and ballistic tips 1/2 MOA out to 500.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
North Idaho Hunter,
Did you foul your rifle to its optimum point where the bullet strikes stop rising on a practice target and begin to cluster before you did your group shooting? Also what did the groups look like ? horizontal ? vertical? angular?. What was the SD on the load that gave you the 1 inch group at 100yds? SD is a more important indicator than ES as it directly affects vertical dispersion of the group. Have you tried the load that worked best on out at 2-300 yards? Bullets with long nose dimensions sometimes need a little more distance to completely stabilize. Try going .005 to each side of the .010 seating depth. Foul the barrel as instructed above. And lets see what that does. Make sure you load these to the LOWEST POWDER CHARGE LISTED FOR THE BULLET/POWDER/CARTRIDGE COMBINATION YOU ARE TESTING ! Do all the tests above 1 at a time and lets discuss the results so we can get you dialed in.

The 215 Hybrids ARE effected by seating depth. I find the 215 Hybrids to give the best results when seated .040 there abouts off the lands.

Did you foul your rifle to its optimum point where the bullet strikes stop rising on a practice target and begin to cluster before you did your group shooting?
Yes, i made sure the barrel was fouled and the group was clustered.

Also what did the groups look like ? horizontal ? vertical? angular?
All groups out of the 5 batches were angular to the left

What was the SD on the load that gave you the 1 inch group at 100yds?
Unfortunately i did not check SD - wish i had, but i wasnt pleased with the results so i didn't feel necessary - whoops.

Have you tried the load that worked best on out at 2-300 yards?
Unfortunately no, ran out of daylight.

Hopefully i can get this dialed in soon - i sure am not used to a bullet taking this much work to get dialed in.

Next trip out i may just step out the tests to 300 yards.

Yes, i made sure the barrel was fouled and the group was clustered.

All groups out of the 5 batches were angular to the left

Unfortunately i did not check SD - wish i had, but i wasnt pleased with the results so i didn't feel necessary - whoops.

Unfortunately no, ran out of daylight.

Hopefully i can get this dialed in soon - i sure am not used to a bullet taking this much work to get dialed in.

Next trip out i may just step out the tests to 300 yards.
North Idaho Hunter,
If the group is running at an angle to the left it usually means the shooter may be anticipating recoil and "shouldering"( tightening up or suddenly leaning into the butt plate ) this causes the rifle to recoil up in the bags. Other issues may be the rifle "skipping in the bags under recoil due to lack of lubricant ( baby powder or bag wax for leather or pure silicone spray for cordura). If you are using a bipod on a solid bench you should put some padding ( neoprene or carpet etc) under the feet of the bipod to prevent it from bouncing. Also make sure that you have removed the front and rear sling swivel studs from the stock.

Thank you for the information.
I'm confident I'm not anticipating the shot. I shot my existing load side comparison to the Bergers and got the normal 1/2 MOA to make sure this wasn't shooter error or loose scope mounts.

I'm shooting on gravel with rear bag, rear stud is attached to the rifle.

I'm confident I'm not anticipating the shot. I shot my existing load side comparison to the Bergers and got the normal 1/2 MOA to make sure this wasn't shooter error or loose scope mounts.

I'm shooting on gravel with rear bag, rear stud is attached to the rifle. I use a homemade bag filled with rice, it could be catching on the stud I suppose.

I'm not concerned with my shots to the left, easily adjusted with scope once I find a load that shoots better then an inch.

I'm shooting on gravel with rear bag, rear stud is attached to the rifle. I use a homemade bag filled with rice, it could be catching on the stud I suppose.

I'm not concerned with my shots to the left, easily adjusted with scope once I find a load that shoots better then an inch.
North Idaho Hunter,
Ok. Remove the sling swivel stud and make sure the ears of the rear bag are filled tight enough so the bottom of the stock will NOT touch the body of the bag. Are you using a bipod or a rest for the front?

I am not sure why the 215 is giving you problems. The four rifles myself and a friend have tried: were both very easy to develop a load for. We have found the 215 to be the most forgiving bullet we have ever shot. Maybe your barrel just doesn't like them. Maybe you need to try H1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.