Reloader 17 , temp sensative ?

jimbires

I read a few of the older threads on reloader 17 powder . I couldn't find where anyone said if it is temperature stable , Alliant says it is . I've been looking at my quickload for a 7mm-08 . the reloader 17 powder seems to produce the highest velocity , and I was going to give it a try . I was just wondering what you guys have found with the temp. stability , or other pros and cons ? thanks Jim

Based only on what I have read and the people I have talked to that have tried it it seems that RL17 isn't very forgiving. You can go from no pressure signs to pressure signs or even worse very quickly.

I have a 6-284 that I can't wait to try it in and a 6.5-284 in the works that I will try RL17 when it's finished.

I was given a load for my 6-284 RL17 and Nosler 70BT that in their gun was over 4000fps. Yikes, that is flat hauling the mail.

I've used it with temps 40-60 some degrees, so can't help much on your
question. I've looked all throughout many forums since the announcement
of RL17 and found no statements about it being temp sensitive. If it were,
surely, someone would have complained.

The only complaints I've come across, were that it doesn't produce quite the
speed claims made, and have found that to be true in my loads. Even at that,
it has given me the best accuracy of many different powders in my Sav .25-06
26" barrel. Pushing an 85gr Nos BT @ 3500fps with accuracy is plenty
satisfying to me. :D

I read a few of the older threads on reloader 17 powder . I couldn't find where anyone said if it is temperature stable , Alliant says it is . I've been looking at my quickload for a 7mm-08 . the reloader 17 powder seems to produce the highest velocity , and I was going to give it a try . I was just wondering what you guys have found with the temp. stability , or other pros and cons ? thanks Jim

Use the temperature function in QuickLoad to check it out. Not the same as having actual data but it might give you a hint of things to come. I just tried it with RL25 in the 7mm Mag load and it says going from 70F to 20F will cost me about 100 ft/sec.

the temperature function is the button with a hand holding a pen right under the "Sel" of Selected Propellant in the powder window. Click that button and another one will appear with a thermometer on the button just above the apply and calc button. Click on that one and you will get a chance to enter temperature.

Fitch

Please forgive my ignorance, but are we talking about ambient temps or the actual temp of the powder.
My dad taught me to always carry spare rounds in my front pockets to keep them warm. He never an explanation and I never questioned his advice, which was almost always dead on when it came to woodsmanship.

Please forgive my ignorance, but are we talking about ambient temps or the actual temp of the powder.

Temperature of the powder in the round being fired at game - nothing else matters. Most of the time, unless the rifle is carried empty, the first and most important, and hopefully only, shot is from a cartridge that has had time to get to what ever ambient temperature is. That can be pretty cold during deer season.

My follow up shot rounds, if required, are in the rifle magazine which gets to ambient temperature pretty quickly as well.

Fitch

thanks for the advice guys .

Fitch , thanks for the quickload lesson . I need to read the user guide again . I know it does a lot more than I know how to do with it . I ran the load at 20*F and 80*F it changes 80FPS . thanks again guys . Jim

if this helps from what I have read and understand is this.most of the guys who have been loading with this powder from the start have only had trouble with the changeing of 1 pound lots.but not haveing trouble with the powder in different temp situations.

read where one guy said he had a little hotter load from one jug of powder to another.but not enough to really blow the load up or show a hudge difference on paper.just hope this has been addressed from the Alliant company.I am really likeing it in my 308 with the 208gn A-max.

Based only on what I have read and the people I have talked to that have tried it it seems that RL17 isn't very forgiving. You can go from no pressure signs to pressure signs or even worse very quickly.

I have a 6-284 that I can't wait to try it in and a 6.5-284 in the works that I will try RL17 when it's finished.

I was given a load for my 6-284 RL17 and Nosler 70BT that in their gun was over 4000fps. Yikes, that is flat hauling the mail.

I've tried RL17 with three different bullets in the 300 WSM and two different bullets in the 25-06. It was very forgiving with all of those. In the 300 RUM with 180 E-Tips, I got a sticky bolt at 87 gr and when I went to 88 gr I got a stuck bolt, blown primer and blown out ejector. That might have been a case of bridging???

I've tried RL17 with three different bullets in the 300 WSM and two different bullets in the 25-06. It was very forgiving with all of those. In the 300 RUM with 180 E-Tips, I got a sticky bolt at 87 gr and when I went to 88 gr I got a stuck bolt, blown primer and blown out ejector. That might have been a case of bridging???

What bullet and COL?

Thanks
Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.