Reloader 17 or 19 in a 300WSM

I intend to try the 210's due to my conversation with John Lazzeroni. All of his factory loaded Patriot ammo is loaded with Fed 210's, John explained to me the 210 created better consistency than the 215. Lower ES & SD= better accuracy :D

So I thought, what the heck. I have a good load now, if I can make it better, why the heck not!

PS- I suffer from severe tinkeritis, allow me to share the quote I reference when discussing reloading. "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!".gun)lol

I have noticed that it's about half and half on guys loading mag primers to reg large rifle. I have not been unhappy with es but wondered if going to 210 would improve on that. Something for me to ponder. By the way that tinkeritis is very contagious, I have been inflicted for some time.

I have been using CCI 250mag primers exculsively with RL-17. I am begiing to wonder if I didnt switch to a non-Mag primer if that wouldnt help with the inconsitency problems I have had?

I have been using CCI 250mag primers exculsively with RL-17. I am begiing to wonder if I didnt switch to a non-Mag primer if that wouldnt help with the inconsitency problems I have had?

Anything is possible, unfortunately the only way to be certain is to do it. A minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience none the less. I would imagine that Magnum vs Standard primers is a fairly sensative subject to some folks. One half is going to say " there no way you can get proper ignition of that much powder with a standard primer!" & the other half is going to say "You don't need that much fire for a short fat powder column!":D

I would imagine in certain situations, both may be correct. Time & Testing will tell:rolleyes: If you are seeing goofy stuff with the 250, maybe try the 215, 215M & 9-1/2? It would be an interesting scenario. 200 or 300yds (maybe farther), one target for each primer with the same load, bullet, brass, OAL etc. Maybe two or three- five shot groups per target. I think a guy could learn a lot from that & if he had a good chrony the numbers would also help paint the picture.:rolleyes:

So much tinkering & so little time...

cheers,

Anything is possible, unfortunately the only way to be certain is to do it. A minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience none the less. I would imagine that Magnum vs Standard primers is a fairly sensative subject to some folks. One half is going to say " there no way you can get proper ignition of that much powder with a standard primer!" & the other half is going to say "You don't need that much fire for a short fat powder column!":D

I would imagine in certain situations, both may be correct. Time & Testing will tell:rolleyes: If you are seeing goofy stuff with the 250, maybe try the 215, 215M & 9-1/2? It would be an interesting scenario. 200 or 300yds (maybe farther), one target for each primer with the same load, bullet, brass, OAL etc. Maybe two or three- five shot groups per target. I think a guy could learn a lot from that & if he had a good chrony the numbers would also help paint the picture.:rolleyes:

So much tinkering & so little time...

cheers,

Amen to that, I would like to play around with it and see what happens.

I'm working on a load with the 200g TTSX right now. I have only had time to fire one of my loads at 200M. Elevation was dead nuts accrosed the board but the group measured 3" center to center.

The first load consisted of
200g TTSX
Rem 7 1/ 2 mag primer
win brass
61g R17
.010 off the lands

I think this bullet is going to work realy well as at .010 off the lands I still have room in the mag box. The rifle in an FN 300wsm tuned up by Kevin Cram.
Try the barnes a bit farther off the rifling, say thirty thou. off. It may suck in a bit. I don't even try to put barnes close in my rifles, I'd guess I'm at .1" or more on one, and at least .050" on another. The barnes need a bit of run for everything to work right.

I have had pretty good luck with RL19 and the 180 AB in my M70 Featherweight. I runs out at about 3030 or so and man, once I got the seating dialed in, it is very easy to shoot smallish groups.

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

Still have a bit more tweaking, but I think it'll be a good load.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.