Reloader 17 or 19 in a 300WSM

SLIVER

Hi, I am contemplating on switching powders to either Reloader 17 or 19, and was wondering if anyone has experience with these powders in a 300 WSM. I will be shooting either 180 or 165 accubonds, depending on the velocity that I can expect. I hope to make this a 600 yard set up for elk and deer.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

))--SLIVER-->

A max load of RL 17 with the 180 Accubond should be around 66.0 gr for about 2950 FPS. Using CCI 250 primers and Federal brass I was able to get .75" 3-shot groups.

However, 67.5 gr gave me 3030 FPS while maintaining the .75" 3-shot group and I didn't see any pressure signs in MY RIFLE (Tikka T-3).

You must always work up loads in YOUR RIFLE.

The 180 Accubond is a great bullet. I took a cow elk at 300 yards with one in 2009.

Good luck,
Bruce

I shoot 64 grains of RL17 behind a 185 Berger in my 300 WSM and it's great. I also had good luck with RL19 when I shot the 165 and 180 grain Interbonds as well.

I am using 65 grains RE17 with 168 TSX's and getting right at 3100 fps, win brass, fed 215M primers. It is a very accurate load in my model 70.

I have had great success with 19 as well.

Remember to start at least 10 % lower and work up.

SOUTHWIND: what types of groups are you getting with that load? I have heard great things for speed in the RL17, however it doesn't sound that it creates as accurate of a load as IMR 4350 or 4831. Just wondering before I go throw a bunch of cash in a direction that I am going to be disappointed in.

Thanks

))--SLIVER-->

im one that never cared for the short mags. There claim to being as fast as the longer cases is mostly that, claims. But i have to say that loading for my buddys 300 short mag that when using re17 the claims become reality.

Hi, I am contemplating on switching powders to either Reloader 17 or 19, and was wondering if anyone has experience with these powders in a 300 WSM. I will be shooting either 180 or 165 accubonds, depending on the velocity that I can expect. I hope to make this a 600 yard set up for elk and deer.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

))--SLIVER-->

I think the max load for 165gr bullet is 68gr/R-17 @ 3217fps and max with 180gr is 66gr/R-17 @ 3082fps for the 300WSM.

Sometimes posters don't list what type rifle their using. I'm using R-17 in a Kreiger barrel 300WSM and I'm couple grains under max but I'm over 3200fps with 165/168gr bullets. Accuracy great and it be a good deer/elk rifle. I'm using R-17 in couple other rifles I've had build and velocity/accuracy been outstanding and I've tried it in couple other rifles accuracy been good but velocity was slow.

Well good luck

Under a minute, I have shot some very good groups with this load in the 1/2" range. My model 70 is a 2004 factory ss rifle 24" with the exception of stock, B&C meadlist, I bedded the lug and floated the barrel. I chronographed this load a few times and have always been right at that 3100 fps velocity. I am very happy with this load.

My groups started to spread a little above 66 grains and my best was at 65 so I settled back to that load. I have shot this load at 600 yards at my club and it holds accuracy well but would go heavier if I wanted to shoot further. I have shot it regularly at my gong at 400 yards and it delivers very consistant results.

We worked this same load up in a 2011 model 70 ew 300wsm with the same results. However, another friend could not get his Kimber montana to shoot well with RE17. He is still searching 4831 didn't do any better for him.

I'm running a 26" bbl Rem 700 S/A chambered in 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot. The Patriot is somewhat shorter & fatter than the WSM but powder capacity should be pretty similar.

I started with RL-19 (Lazz factory ammo uses a lot of RL-19). Great accuracy & acceptable velocity with 150grn TSX & 180gr MRX. (FED 215M)

I am now using the 168 TTSX & 67.0grns of RL-17.... Velocity is well over 3300 (but I need to chrony test more). In a 5 shot group, i was able to stack 4 of 5 into almost zero vetical spread & less than 1/2" horizontal.... until shot 5 where I started gettin giddy... go figure :rolleyes: I pulled 5 out high right to .700" dern it...

RL-17 has shown greater velocity across the board (by a lot) however, in my limited experimenting, has not created the single digit ES & SD I was able to achieve with the RL-19. In conversation with John Lazzeroni, I am actually going to substitue the 215 for a 210 & see what happens....

I'm running a 26" bbl Rem 700 S/A chambered in 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot. The Patriot is somewhat shorter & fatter than the WSM but powder capacity should be pretty similar.

I started with RL-19 (Lazz factory ammo uses a lot of RL-19). Great accuracy & acceptable velocity with 150grn TSX & 180gr MRX. (FED 215M)

I am now using the 168 TTSX & 67.0grns of RL-17.... Velocity is well over 3300 (but I need to chrony test more). In a 5 shot group, i was able to stack 4 of 5 into almost zero vetical spread & less than 1/2" horizontal.... until shot 5 where I started gettin giddy... go figure :rolleyes: I pulled 5 out high right to .700" dern it...

RL-17 has shown greater velocity across the board (by a lot) however, in my limited experimenting, has not created the single digit ES & SD I was able to achieve with the RL-19. In conversation with John Lazzeroni, I am actually going to substitue the 215 for a 210 & see what happens....

Hey Outlaw, what was the reasoning to go to the 210's? I have heard a couple of schools of thought on this.

I'm working on a load with the 200g TTSX right now. I have only had time to fire one of my loads at 200M. Elevation was dead nuts accrosed the board but the group measured 3" center to center.

The first load consisted of
200g TTSX
Rem 7 1/ 2 mag primer
win brass
61g R17
.010 off the lands

I think this bullet is going to work realy well as at .010 off the lands I still have room in the mag box. The rifle in an FN 300wsm tuned up by Kevin Cram.

I have two rifles that I have run RL-17. Both rifles are 300 WSm and both are M70s.

The first is a new haven gun. I worked up a load of 168gr TSX and found 67.5 grs to be my best accuracy. It wasnt totally consistent but I found to be an acceptable hunting load.

My second is an FN M70 EW. I tried the same load in that rifle and found it to be very inconsistent. Accuracy was under MOA when it was on but when it wasnt it looked like a shotgun blast. I plan on working up a load for it later on but for the time being I have switched to H4350.

What primers have folks been finding sucess with Rl-17?

What loads have you been finding sucess with RL-19?

Hey Outlaw, what was the reasoning to go to the 210's? I have heard a couple of schools of thought on this.

I intend to try the 210's due to my conversation with John Lazzeroni. All of his factory loaded Patriot ammo is loaded with Fed 210's, John explained to me the 210 created better consistency than the 215. Lower ES & SD= better accuracy :D

So I thought, what the heck. I have a good load now, if I can make it better, why the heck not!

PS- I suffer from severe tinkeritis, allow me to share the quote I reference when discussing reloading. "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!".gun)lol

I'm working on a load with the 200g TTSX right now. I have only had time to fire one of my loads at 200M. Elevation was dead nuts accrosed the board but the group measured 3" center to center.

The first load consisted of
200g TTSX
Rem 7 1/ 2 mag primer
win brass
61g R17
.010 off the lands

I think this bullet is going to work realy well as at .010 off the lands I still have room in the mag box. The rifle in an FN 300wsm tuned up by Kevin Cram.

Have you had the chance to Chronograph the 200's? I'd be curious to see the velocity potential of this bullet... I was able to get the 180 MRX to 3100fps.. Maybe a 200 @ 2950-3k??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts