Reloaded round will not chamber...

thank you to everyone who shared some info. It is nice to be able to ask people with actual experience.
I am still unable to figure out the issue, the full length sizer die seems to be the culprit.

That's a good point but I think that trying to chamber a round with a bolt action would seat the primer far enough to chamber. The action type gives some mechanical advantage/ leverage with the camming of the bolt lugs and bolt handle

You are absolutely correct. It should chamber and you will know the primer is the problem because it will be marked with the firing pin hole.

Is it possible there is something in the action near the lug keeping you from seating something? I have had this happen after a piece of grass fell in my action.

thank you to everyone who shared some info. It is nice to be able to ask people with actual experience.
I am still unable to figure out the issue, the full length sizer die seems to be the culprit.

It would be nice if you knew someone that had a die set you could try before you bought another set just to have the same problem...

I may have said this already, but I have tried this round in both of my rifles with the same non chambering issue. I know it is not the rifle. I did appreciate all the tips though, I am sure they will come in handy on a future day....

Did you try a shim under the case?
This will tell you if it's the die not sizing your brass ENOUGH.
I have been loading for belted magnums for a LONG TIME, it is not uncommon to find a short chamber and a long die in shoulder length. Because headspace is controlled by the belt, the head to shoukder length is NOT held to tight tolerances, therefore, as you size a fired case it lengthens making it too long for your chamber if your chamber head to shoulder length is short.
Another question, are you camming over on your press and is there a gap between the shell holder and die bottom when a case IS BEING SIZED IN THE DIE?
Adjusting the die to touch the shell holder at the top of the stroke is incorrect, when a case is being sized the shell holder will NOT be touching the die due to slop in the linkages and true FL sizing will not be happening.

I would be checking your die adjustment before I wasted money buying another die set.

Cheers.
gun)

Check for donuts? If the die is not adjusted properly..then you may have a slight bulge at the base of the neck just ahead of the shoulder. If the chamber neck is a snug neck this may be your problem.

I would try taking the expander button off the decapping rod it could be stretching the case during resizing

I gave this a quick speed read, so if this was covered and i missed it...sorry.

Does the sized case chamber BEFORE you seat the bullet in the case?

If yes....

Turn your seating die out a couple of turns and screw the seating stem in some to compensate. The seating die is too short and is bumping the sholder back. With no case wall support, the case will bulge at the sholder/body juncture. BEEN THERE ...DONE THAT!!

I gave this a quick speed read, so if this was covered and i missed it...sorry.

Does the sized case chamber BEFORE you seat the bullet in the case?

If yes....

Turn your seating die out a couple of turns and screw the seating stem in some to compensate. The seating die is too short and is bumping the sholder back. With no case wall support, the case will bulge at the sholder/body juncture. BEEN THERE ...DONE THAT!!

Plus 1 on that.

So I purchased a new set of dies, from Lee this time. I resized the brass I had already run through the rcbs die (which was causing the issue) I could feel an odd resistance as the expander ball ran though the start of the case mouth. it was only at the start. The cases now chamber easily.

If you could feel resistance from the expander ball in the neck, then the said case neck was already SMALLER BEFORE you ran it through the new Lee die. Therefore, it wasn't the neck diameter causing the problem.

I am glad the new dies solved whatever it was that was going wrong, but I am still curious if the sized cases fit the chamber BEFORE you seated a bullet with the old RCBS die.

I think you threw new parts a problem that was fixable.

Good luck,
Tod

i mis-posted my reply
thanks to all of you. i had the same problem as this man and now i don't. you guys as a group are truly appreciated by me, thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.