RELOADED .270 STICK AND CAN NOT CLOSE BOLT SAKO RIFLE

WILLR

I am reloading .270 using rcbs dies , sierra 130 grain bullets , cases were checked for length RELOADED SHELLS WILL NOT FIT IN SAKO BOLT WILL NOT CLOSE. WHAT GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONS.AM I DOING WRONG. i have ordered new calipher and going to measure each winchester casing CAN

Check your headspace, most likely the shoulder needs to be bumped back a little. Turn the resizing die down a half a turn. Buy a Sheridan Ammunition Gauge, they aren't cheap and they are usually backordered right now but they will actually compare your case dimensions to SAAMI standards. Most case gauges will only check the diameters but the Sheridan checks both diameters and lengths.

SG270WIN_1-600x600.jpg

Do you mean unfired 270 cartridge? If yes and factory loaded ammo is what you are talking about, does the bolt close on the factory ammo? Is this a new rifle or have you fired it before? New to reloading? A little more info still needed.

I used a unfired winchester 130 grain bullet to set the rcbs die I also cleaned all brass in a oak shell tumbler .

I think I understand what you're saying.

If I did, you maybe didn't fully size your brass. But it could be a number of things.

I'm not trying to discourage you or be condescending but you need to read a reloading manual a couple times. This is dangerous. Make sure you understand all the variables you're dealing with.

Be safe and good luck.

If you have a bullet puller, pull a bullet and see if the case fits in the chamber and you can close the bolt. If you can close the bolt without a bullet then you probably have the bullet set too far out.
If he is reloading cases that came out of a rifle then they should go back in whether or not he FL sized. He can try seating the bullets a little deeper to see if that might be the issue.

Last edited:

Recent Posts