Reloaded 26 270 WSM loads?

ekcaller

I just got my Savage re barreled with a 28" Benchmark 270 WSM throated for 165 matrix. I can't find Reloader 33 anywhere but I can get my hands on Rloader 26. I read they have similar properties, but canot find any info on RL 26.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you try the alliant powder site? They had some info on other calibers that I was looking for some weeks back

There is some info on reloaders nest if this would help, for reloader 25

rl25 and rl26 are not the same data....

you should be able to drop a rl25 load 10%, switch to rl26, and walk it back up to pressure. I've done it with my 7stw with 140 ab's. rl26 flat out hauls compared to rl25 at similar charges, which tells me it's actually pushing higher pressures (likely a bit more efficient powder too) than rl25 in my rifle.

2nd what lefty says, I hit max with slight bolt lift in my 300 rum& rl 26 about 3gr under what rl 25 max data is, there is a recipe for a 150 gr bullet , 270 wsm ,rl 26 on alliants site maybe they could give you an idea where to start for your 165

Really? the info I got on rl 26 was it was basicly the same as 25 but less temp sensitive.

I just spoke to my reload shop, and He told me what his midwest supplier told him, that rl23 and rl26 was a marketing tool for temp sensitive powders,really close to rl22 and rl25, since no one has an up dated burn rate chart since fall of 2014 I will take him at his word till can see it different. He talks to manufacture's and rep's more than I care too.

So by what you guys experienced it may have a faster burn rate? by more velocity and more pressure signs at same charge as rl25/ I'm probably not anxious to find it anymore!

So by what you guys experienced it may have a faster burn rate? by more velocity and more pressure signs at same charge as rl25/ I'm probably not anxious to find it anymore!

as compared to rl25, rl26 gave me ~200 fps more velocity at the same charge as my standard load for my 7stw with 140's. I am at 82 grains rl22 with a 140ab in that rifle producing a sedate 3200 fps.... With rl26 that jumped to 3395 fps with very mild pressure signs. I'd guess a jump of close to 10 Kpsi on the powder switch.
Remember that I have a 24" bbl. 10" twist 7stw so it often runs mild with book loads.

if confused look at alliants online data for 300 win & 300 wheatherby 180 gr sp one seems to indicate rl26 is faster & the other slower, so just to be safe I dropped below rl 25 data for my start load and worked up and for me and in my case a 300 rum & a 180gr ab I was around 3gr under hornady book max for rl 25 & a 180 gr bullet when I found signs of pressure

Lefty, are you using 82 grains in both Reloader 25 and 26? If so a 200 fps is really impressive. Hopefully I will get to test my hand loads on Friday.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.