reload velocity

How would it be wrong thread velocity is a key part of long range and currently my limiting factor in my being able to shoot farther. Also not sure long range slug gunners will see it in the regular reloading thread as I usually skip it but constantly check this cause I'm a slug hunter.

I'm super interested in this as well...

Do you currently reload 12 gauge? Sabots?

I've done a bit of research myself but have yet to find anyone who has posted accuracy results from reloading sabot slugs.

I'm over in Grand Rapids. Looks like you are from Spring Lake.

Yep from just down the road. I havent reloaded any slugs. My idea is to reload a .458 socom bullet from CEB in possibly a brass hull with a sabot. Haven't been able to get any real answers from anyone. I'm assuming like most rifles Ishould be able to up the velocity a bit and hopefully keep the accuracy I'm getting now. That way I get the bullet I want and more spees as my slug guns are like some peoples bow. I have fun using them when you wouldn't expect.

Here is a video of a guy reloading 50 caliber handgun bullets into sabots.

Midwayusa also sells some plastic sabots that are designed to use with 50 caliber bullets.

Doesn't seem like any of them get great results though.

My main hunting grounds are shotgun only territory... But now they allow pistol caliber rifles also. I have a pistol caliber carbine in 40S&W, but that's not going to cut it for deer hunting. My dad just bought a 44 Mag level action rifle. It's more accurate than any slug gun I've seen and it kicks a ton less. If my wife hadn't bought me my slug gun I might be shopping for a 44 Mag level action as well! But I don't want to take the chance of hurting her feelings.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be way ahead with that slug gun. Much greater range for efficient taking of game. I have hada few slug guns and all have been great with the right slug for that gun. I currently us an h&r ultraand can cloverleaf at 100 yards. Can consistently hit my deer sized target at 200. We should be able to get you squared away one day at the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.