Reload company

rookie1

Hello Reloaders

I could you some help or advise. I don't reload, but I found a guy at Precise Ammunition that will reload for me. He sounds like he's been doing it for awhile and knows what he's doing. I'm just a little nervous because I'm new to this and well you know the product does go "BOOM". So I just want to find out more about him and the company. Like has any one have used his services or ammo? Like I said he seems nice and knowledgeable just don't want to move to fast.

Thanks for any advise.

rookie1

I have never heard of this company before, but it does look legit upon first glance. I can't speak to whether or not they are good.

I would be skeptical about it, but I am generally a skeptical guy ;). I have no idea how expensive the ammo is, but I would think it is pretty spendy cuz the guy has to guarantee his product and go through a fair amount of load development to do a good job.

What caliber are you shooting?? If you can get your hands on match grade ammo, I would go that route until you can reload.

I know a few people around my area that found a guy who makes 223 bulk and sells it reasonable. This is not "custom" ammo, but it is good quality - and reasonably priced. I don't think you will find "custom" ammo reasonably priced.

Edit: I just looked at the site again and there is very limited evidence that they actually do load for military, law enforcement. He says "we can provide", not that they do provide. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
I can not find this company. How do I find it to look at them? I have done some custom reloading for clients with great success. My opinion is that if you are not sending them the rifle to do the load development then you are not getting custom loads. The stuff that I have done has been time and material and has generally been in the $500-$600 range for 100 rounds of custom ammunition loaded for their rifle. Depends on how tough it is to find a load that the particular rifle likes.

Steve

here is the site I looked at, think this is the one he is talking about. Custom Ammo Home

I do some loading for friends and family, man I work way way too cheap lol!
Rocky is right, good load development takes lots of time, componants and patience.

Yes, britz that is the company (preciseammunition.com). I seen it on the side here from the ad by google. So I just checked it out and emailed him a couple of times. I'm not looking for a true custom load. I just told him what I'm looking for, and he said he could do it.

If you were wondering what I'm looking for is:

308 Win
Hornday 165g SST
Varget powder 42 -44 (he said 43.5)
Laupa, Hornday or Fed brass

Thats what I would like to shoot, but Hornday only sells the 165 SST in a bullet, they will make if I can find a distributor that wants min 5000 boxes. So like I said I'm just trying to find someone who knows alot about reloading and can do it for me.

Last edited:
Have you tried Nosler balistic tips?? You can get nosler 165 custom from midway soon for $46 a box. not sure what this guy is going to charge you. If you are getting Lapua brass, you could always sell the brass on line after you shoot it for a little money too. It's just too bad you don't know someone close by who can just run you a batch.

They may be great loaders, BUT I have never bitten for the custom loading hook. Just because a load is put together precisely doesn't mean it will shoot well in your rifle. I reload for a few friends, but I ALWAYS have the rifle on hand and build a load for the rifle. You'll spend some kind of money buying various loads testing them in your rifle to find which one is best. IF you settle for "pretty good", then you might as well shoot factory ammunition.

I think you will end up way ahead if you just invest in some basic reloading equipment.It is not hard to learn,and you will get alot more satisfaction from loading your own.If you buy the equipment,there are plenty of people on here who will walk you through it,I think you will be glad you did it,once you get started.

I think you will end up way ahead if you just invest in some basic reloading equipment.It is not hard to learn,and you will get alot more satisfaction from loading your own.If you buy the equipment,there are plenty of people on here who will walk you through it,I think you will be glad you did it,once you get started.
I agree, I know alot of people that won't shoot ammo made by somebody else it could as you said it goes boom to many things that could go wrong. just my 2 cents.

I agree, if you are going to do it right the rifle needs to be in the loaders possession during load development. He can probably load a better quality round than the factory stuff, but weather your rifle likes the recipe you don't know until you shoot it.

Steve

To shoot other peoples handloaded ammunition is just waiting for an accident to happen!

"Heeeerrrrreeeeesssss your sign"!!

Rookie1,
..for .308 cal you can get some pretty good factgory ammo, for the price difference, (unknown?) you may just be splitting hairs.

Depending on your rifle and assuming the guy will be doing full-blown load development you could be looking at some serious time and cash, however if he's only doing basic loads, you may just as well buy some Federal Gold Match or the like.
If you're even slightly interested in reloading, and are this concerned about having accurate ammo, I would do some more research and think about getting into it yourself.. components for .308 are widely available..

Then again, if you don't have the time then its another story, and I would go back to option A and look at some good match quality factory ammo.
Good luck.

I was offering custom load development and ammo for sent in rifles, but that is comming to an end shortly.

You wouldn't believe the number of people that call and want to know if I can make their ammo; hotter, faster, flatter shooting. Than factory ammo.

I tell them the velocities are simillar to factory but the accuracy is much better. Thats when they say thanks and hang up.

I triple check the process of powder dispensing and have never had any load problems, but I'm ending the service, it's not worth the trouble. Finding components are a pain, and it's interferring with my regular work.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.