reliable scope on a budget

mphstigerfan

I am about to buy a 300wsm and have a tight scope budget I have seen an old nikon buckmaster 4-12 x50 for 189 drawback is no side adjustment. I was also considering a vortex diamondback, new buckmaster, bushell elite 3200, or vxI in 4-12 x40. I know these are all below the standards most of you have for optics, but it may be the best I can do. I hunt over ean fields but my shots probably will never be over 500 yds. any advice???

Last edited:
I have been running a Wonder Optics tac scope on my hunting rifle and it has been awesome. Glass is better than the list you listed, way better turret feel and function also. Lifetime warranty without a pain in the butt. Everyone that has shot my rifle to checkout the scope have then ordered one or are going to order one. I can sight-in with one shot, hold reticule back on target and measure in MOA where the shot went and make adjustments in MOA, second shot will be on, it's the only scope I have owned that will do that! WOTAC Rifle Scopes

You could look at Cabelas
Alpha 4x12 sometimes they are on sale for $99.00
yes it's cheap
Life time replacement
I have one no issues

I have a Osprey International scope that you should consider here is where i got mine from:

Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide

I have the 10-40x50 and it is very clear. It has the green and red illumanated recticle and has the side focus. I will warn you though the rings and bases that come with it are crap but i have no complants out of the scope itself. Best part is it has a lifetime guarntee that if anything happens to it send it back and they will send you another one. All you have to do is call them up and they will give you there address and a number to put on it. Good luck with your search

My experience with the Bushnell Elites is that they are rock-solid, but they lack a little in the elevation for LRH.

Quite a few Leupold VXII 3-9's out there on the used market with most bringing 170-200.00

The 3200's are good scopes, don't feel that you have to spend $1,000 on a scope to be somebody on here. If one has to brag about how much he spent on this and that he must be lacking elsewhere. I've bought a few used scopes through www.samplelist.com Great prices, and about any scope ever made is on there. Good Luck

millett trs-1 for mid to long range or lrs1 for ultra longrange. the lrs-1 should beable to adjust to a mile on your rifle with no angled base. i have a 20 moa base on my 300wm and get 115 3/4 moa of usable adjustment from a 0 of 325 yrds. this puts the first mill dot up at 100 threw 200 yrds

Last edited:
''I will prob never shoot over 500 yds'', I think I read that in your post;

Burris FF2 all the way for afordability/toughness/and waranty
I own a few and stand by them 100% out to 600 yds +. I own Nikon too but prefer Burris hands down for an affordable tough scope and they have the Bplex reticle and start under $200!

You mentioned side focus, I only have side adjustment on one of my varmint rifles (.204 Ruger) everything else I hunt with purposely is variable but fixed focus. I practice getting my eye lined up with the center as best I can and it's just one less thing to mess with. The most power on any of my deer rifles is a VXII 4X12 w/ LR reticle and I think 10X is as much as I've ever ramped it up to when taking a shot on a deer. With that said my longest shot has been 360 yards and at least for now my personal limit is 400 as that is as far as I've practiced.

Nikon and Burris both have drop reticles in relatively cheap scopes that should easily get you to 500 yards, I use nikon's bdc out to 635 with a wsm, If I remember right Burris's reticle doesn't give as many reference points but should still get you close and the 3200 would be the most specific in elevation adjustment if you don't mind mind fixed 10X ..............................I'm always more impressed with the guy that got the same job done without taking a second mortgage. The results ,discipline, knowledge,awareness and skill are impressive, The Money spent sometimes baffles but never impresses me personally.

So you guys think the Mueller scope can handle the recoil of a .50 or .338lm?

Looking for a temp scope to put on the savage 110BA. I am looking for tactical turrets with variable zoom.

I have heard good things about Mueller, but someone told me that they werent magnum approved. Guessing that means not for large calibers.

I have also heard good things about Falcon scopes, but they are hard to find it seems like. They are supposedly approved for the 338LM.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.